View Full Version : New poll with more options (replaces 2750 or 4700 poll). Which should I buy?

reachingpub
01-15-2005, 08:33 AM
The other poll was getting out of control and very quickly becoming useless. Unfortunately you can't add more options to a poll once someone has voted so I've decided to create a new poll.

Here is the background information:

Note: the price difference between 2750 and 4700 are not a worry to me and I don't even want this to come in to my decision.

After reading a fair few reviews, I had settled on either the Ipaq 2750 or the 4700.

So far in the 2750 favour I can see:
- 128RAM
- Doesn't have that s****y touchpad (5-way navigation button instead)
- Lighter (5.8oz compared to 6.6oz)
- Loads quicker!!!!
- Smaller!!!!

For the 4700
- Larger display (4in compared to 3.5in on the 2750)
- Higher max resolution (480 x 640 as opposed to 240 x 320)

I don't consider the fingerprint reader of the 2750 really a feature so much as a gimmick. I can do without one.

I'd mainly be using it for uni & work
- Timetable & appointments
- Directory of friends & clients (**is it possible to sync any of these with a bluetooth phone?)
- Notes, etc. Could possibly even draw up a few quick quotes on Excel.
- Internet & e-mail (not a lot, just every now and again when I need to quickly find something, we have city wide wifi internet in Adelaide, South Australia, currently for free)
- Playing music (but this is not so much a priority as something I'd like -- I figure it saves me buying an ipod).

I'm worried with the 4700 that I can't put it in a pocket (or something?) while I'm not using it as opposed to in my bag or on desk, etc. I don't want this getting stolen. Does anyone own one of these? Does size become an issue at all? Are there any situations when you wish you had something smaller?

The 2750 is said to be a lot faster (loading, etc) than the 4700 (and all other VGA ones for that matter). Is this true? Considering I will be pulling this thing out of my pocket to quickly add an appointment, etc. then put it back in my pocket, will this become an issue?

Since I first posted I've been advised to consider the Dell Axim x50v and the Loox 720. After looking around these are both excellent PDA's but I just missed out on the Dell 20% off deal and the Loox 720 will end up costing me more than the 4700. I am also worried about the Loox, I have been reading about a lot of problems with it. I also don't care to have a camera (I have one on my phone).

Right, now that that's done, let's get on with the poll.

Menneisyys
01-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Since I first posted I've been advised to consider the Dell Axim x50v and the Loox 720. After looking around these are both excellent PDA's but I just missed out on the Dell 20% off deal and the Loox 720 will end up costing me more than the 4700. I am also worried about the Loox, I have been reading about a lot of problems with it. I also don't care to have a camera (I have one on my phone).

The PL720 is excellent bargain for us Europeans because it's a local product so we don't have to pay extra for it (because of the overly high EU customs) and there're local service centers.

For overseas customers, it IS expensive. It does have certain advantages (USB host, camera, CIR, 128M RAM etc) over the hx4700 though, and a great, contrasty screen (even better than those of transflective Palms!), compared to anything else on the market (except for the hx4700). So, you have to consider which is more important for you: the more features of the PL720 or the lower price/better service support of the hx4700. (Does Fujitsu-Siemens have local service centers in Australia at all?)

BTW, the PL720 doesn't have severe problems. It does have a pretty weak stylus and some BT problems. These BT problems are, however, much more minor than those of, for example, the Toshiba e830 or the I-Mate PDA2k/Jam because the BT unit is compatible with everything, it's just that sometimes it needs a reset before start. But the case is similar with, for example, iPAQ 2210, so anyone coming from a prev-generation BT-enabled PDA will put up with the resets :)

Another option is getting the Asus A730W. Despite its very bad battery life (which is even worse than that of the x50v, but can be lived with with a second battery), it's AFAIK pretty cheap in there. For a very good price, you can get a feature-rich, and quite small/light (it only weights 0.2 ounces more than the 2750) PDA.

I woulnd't really recommend the Toshiba e830 because of its BT incompatibilities (doesn't even work with teh StowAway BT keyboard!) and, compared to the hx4700/PL720, not very saturated screen.

reachingpub
01-16-2005, 05:44 AM
Battery life is important to me. I barely find the time to charge my phone. So that rules the Asus out (although they are cheap and excellent value).

The PL720 is tempting and ironically I think I would like it much better if it didn't have a camera. Something about having a feature I don't need (or want) makes me think less of a product. Still, it has come in to consideration a few times.

Instead of helping me I've just confused myself 100times more. It looks like (from the two polls) that at least 50% of people think the 4700 is the way to go. And I'd agree if not for the size and load times. I'd really like some feedback on this from someone if possible, I think this will be the decision maker.

Menneisyys
01-16-2005, 11:21 AM
The PL720 is tempting and ironically I think I would like it much better if it didn't have a camera. Something about having a feature I don't need (or want) makes me think less of a product. Still, it has come in to consideration a few times.

The PL718 doesn't have a built-in camera and is, consequently, some 30-40 euros cheaper here in Europe.

MkH
01-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I too am having the same dilemma.

My first choice would be the Fujitsu/Siemens PL718 followed by the PL720 (I guess I don't have to use the 1.3MP camera). The LOOX has a few things I really like. It has BT 1.2, USB host, 3.6" VGA screen, positive reviews, big battery, managable size, ergonomic shape. But it's not available in the US.

Third was the Asus A730W. It is the best looking of the High-end VGA PPC. It too has gotten good reviews except for the small battery, BT 1.1 and it took a long time to get to market. I like the docking cradle with it's extra stylus holder and I don't mind the stylus being located on the bottom of the unit. I like the 3.7" VGA display (it sound like it's the best of the VGA devices), managable size, very ergonomic, USB host and it's constructed very well. Asus needs to come out with a seperate battery charger or more powerful battery that doesn't change the size of the device. It's available in the US but I haven't seen or test drove one yet.

Fourth was the HP hx4700. It is a very nice looking device except for the square corners in the palm of my hand. I didn't think much of the touch pad and I thought it was too big. Then I test drove one and the touch pad worked great and the size wasn't as big as I thought (since I'm currently using a Jornada 548). It's the same size (height and width) as my Jornada 548, a lot thinner and it's much lighter. It even has a factory built display cover that works rather nicely considering it's a side mount. I also like the fact it has new innovative technology incorporated into the design. It has a magnesium housing, display cover and touch pad. I also like that it has a large battery, USB 2.0 sync (docking cradle), and a graphic chip. It doesn't have USB host.

I haven't even considered the Dell x50v or the Toshiba e830. I've heard too many horror stories about Dell's service and Toshiba just became available but not in the US.

I'm going to go with the HP hx4700 and a BT keyboard. Thier service, reputation and reliabillity have been good to me. At this kind of prices it's got to last.

Kowalski
01-20-2005, 09:08 PM
tough decission, every unit has its strengths and weak points.
since all units have very good specs, i would pick the lightest and smallest one, which would be 2750

most people say vga screen is a big plus but i think you can live without