View Full Version : Help Needed - Installing BT Sterreo headphones on IPAQ 2210

Eowyn
01-15-2005, 05:15 AM
Hello,

I've just bought the BT Headphones today, but I can't install them. I've installed teh drivers from the CD, but when I get to the point of adding the device i get,

BT Wizard CE
No valid wizard plugin found.

After many resets, etc now when I try to reinstall the drivers/ software, I get a message:

File in Use: The File "\windows\=BtCeAvIf.dll" is in use or is in ROM. If the file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file."

I dont' know what has gone wrong....

Regards
Sandra

jimski
01-15-2005, 05:34 AM
This may not help you now, but when I installed my drivers a popup suggested that I need to soft reset the device with an OK button (or something like that). Instead of agreeing, (I don't like to do soft resets while in the cradle-always afraid it will upset ActiveSync in some way) I pulled my PPC out of the cradle and performed a regular soft reset. When I tried to pair the headphones I discoverd that the High Quality Audio Setup profile was not there.

I tried install the drivers a second time and with the PPC still in the cradle I tapped the OK button on screen which did perform a soft reset. After the device completed booting I navigated to the Bluetooth profiles and discoverd that High Quality Audio Setup was now there.

As I said this may not help you now, but if you are forced to do a hard reset (sounds likely) I would follow the driver instructions explicitly.

Eowyn
01-15-2005, 05:53 AM
I probably posted a bit too quickly. Given the message I was getting when reinstalling the software, I found the file and renamed it.

Then everything worked ok...... It must have been a file that was corrupted between the CD and the PDA.

However... even thought the headphones are now working, the sound quality is unusable. The music is there, but it is full of crackling, and occasionaly pausing (pausing seems to have stopped after the first minute of connection).

No-one could accept this, so something must be wrong with my setup/equipment....

help?

Kt3
01-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Any chance that one of you could kindly post the drivers that came with the headphones? I would love to toy around with the new BT profile but don't want to buy them since I honestly don't use my iPaq as a music player that much.

Thanks in advance!

Kt

jimski
01-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Not so sure. I got a lot of clicking and gaps when I tried using the headphones with Window Media Player. It seemed to occur every 4-6 seconds. I tried Simple Tunes (my default player), but that music app did not work at all with the headphones (they are currently looking into a fix). I also tried Pocket MVP, but into the second song it locked up requiring a soft reset.

After trying a couple other players I settled on Pocket Player. It does not take advantage of the pause and track forward/back controls of the headphones (volume controls do work) but there is almost no clicking at all. Just the occasional click, maybe once every few minutes. I can walk from room to room and the music is clear.

The headphones will, usually after a period 15 to 45 minutes, sometimes just start spitting out constant static (other have reported this). The only thing that appears to work is powering down the headphones, powering up and then reconnecting to Bluetooth. I imagine this is something to do with the Bluetooth profile and hope a future update will fix it.

I don't know what's up with Windows Media Player, but don't let that discourage you. Try downloading Pocket Player (or a player of your choice) before giving up. I can't tell you how good it feels to finally be wire free, even with the occasional click.

Eowyn
01-15-2005, 07:29 AM
I am using Pocket Player, with both wma and ogg files.

Everynow and again the sound is really clear and wonderful - but it lasts about 10 seconds, before it goes very crackly again.

The speed of the music seems to change too. :?

Could this have anything to do with the sampling rates when I create the wma and ogg files? I really know very little about copying and encoding music. I'm using dbpower Amp to create the oggs, and windows media to create/copy the wma.

kozak
01-16-2005, 11:15 PM
the problem is that having BT on is very CPU intensive for some reason. On my 2215, i would get a couple minutes of good sound then a hickup, like the sound would slow down then speed up. I since moved to the Dell X50v and have had no such problems. The faster processor can keep up with decoding.

It sucks, they market it as compatible with the 2215 model but the the hickups sucked.

Eowyn
01-17-2005, 02:43 AM
I tried the BT Headphones again yesterday (while at the supermarket, and then later at home) and they worked very nicely this time. There were some hiccups, but they were acceptable.

So a marked improvement in performance over the first day.

Would it make any difference whether the Pocket player or the BT connection is started first? That's the only thing that I think I did differently between the two days.

I couldn't test that hypothesis last night, because the headphones ran out of battery.... (it took me a while to realise what the occasional beeps were indicating!)

BTW, How do you avoid losing the tiny charging adaptor for the headphones? I thinking of tying a bright ribbon around the adapotor.

kozak
01-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Didn't your's come with a rubber loop attachment? Mine came with 2.

Eowyn
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I figured out the sound quality issue. It doesn't like reading the music from an SD card. The soudn quality is fine (with minor hiccups) from the CF card.

shawnc
01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I figured out the sound quality issue. It doesn't like reading the music from an SD card. The soudn quality is fine (with minor hiccups) from the CF card.

You may have a card issue. All of my music is on SD and my BT HP's work perfectly.

Eowyn
01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Both my SD cards have extreme problems with the sound quality. The CF card is good.

Menneisyys
01-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Both my SD cards have extreme problems with the sound quality. The CF card is good.

Your SD brand? I've had disastrous results with my Kingston SD's in all of my devices (PDA's, image tanks etc), but only at continuous sound recording (NoteM and co.) or, in my image tank, restoring to card.

Eowyn
01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
The SD cards
-32Mb Fujifilm (! - given to me by a friend)
- Sandisk Wifi 256Mb.