View Full Version : 5455 WiFi Authentication/Association, and others.

dasutton
01-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I've been a long time iPAQ user, starting with the 36xx, then the 38xx, and now a 5455. I am confounded by a couple of things on this newer iPAQ, specifically;

-Why do I have to do a soft reset to associate and authenticate on a WiFi network that has WEP enabled?

- Why does the WiFi radio seem to turn off automatically?

- Why in the list of Wireless networks, in the Configure Wireless Networks area, can't I "Remove Settings" for those networks I know I'm not going to use?

- Why, in that same list, will the iPAQ show that I am Connected to a network and the amber LED will continue to flash?

- Why when trying to use a GPS, connected serially, with Pocket Streets, does the iPAQ try interminably to communicate with the GPS with Bluetooth, even though Bluetooth is turned off?

- And finally, why will the stylus fall out of my unit when it is pushed in completely?

It is my distinct impression that with each iteration of the iPAQ, the entire Pocket PC gets buggier. Back in the "good ol' days" dust in the screen and a broken stylus holder was somewhat tolerable. Now, the whole thing borders a big pile of buggy cr*p. It was for very similar reasons I gave up on Microsoft OS'd PCs and went Macintosh...

dasutton
01-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I ONCE used ActiveSync to install a program somewhere besides the "default installation folder" (i.e. into the iPAQ's File Store). Now, that's all ActiveSync will do - it will not install a program into the default folder no matter if the box is checked or not!

EnsignRam
01-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Regarding WiFi and Bluetooth issues, make sure your firmware is fully up to date. Initially with my 5555 I had a lot of problems with the wireless stuff. The update fix a LOT of the issues. Since I updated I have been very pleased with my IPAQ's performance.

johnnydigit3l
01-27-2005, 08:44 PM
yes, mac are the best. i try not to descriminate though. i too have many i386 boxes too. anyway. you shouldnt need to soft reset your device to connect to a wifi network, at the least you can disable, then enable ipaq wireless to get wep up and running. remove settings? like what settings? you can choose >not< to connect to any network. that way, you can either just totally remove the unneeded networks, or just connect to the ap you desire. you may be connected to a network, but you havnt pulled an ip address yet. the amber light will flash for the duration of this handshaking process. sometimes signal strength or access privileges (mac filtering, wep, etc) will hold up initial connectivity. i assume you have the pharos puck supplied with streets and trips, which is connected to the serial port of the ipaq? either way, pocketstreets shouldnt call on bluetooth, unless your using some third party gps monitor which may be misconfigured to listen to bluetooth, otherwise id check the pocketstreets configuration for the same inconsistancies. as to the stylus... i dunno. ive never experienced this issue with any of my many ipaqs. maby take a trip to staples or compusa, and pick up some of those high falutin stylus'. the metal spring inside may be worn otherwise. i would reccomend that you have the latest servicepack and rom upgrade as this or these fix a lot of issues with wireless connectivity, and overall system stability : )