View Full Version : calendar reminders killing me (or at least my battery)

rprice54
01-14-2005, 08:10 PM
So I've been using this PPC for about 7 months now I and think I've been able to replace MOST of my old palm apps (of course except for the 2 I used the most) but one thing that still frustrates me is the reminder feature of the calendar.

on the Palm platform, you can set it to remind you a certain number of times, then it gives up and leaves a little blinking icon in the top left hand corner so it's easy to find and turn off if you miss the reminder.

so far, on my ipaq, the reminders go off until they kill the battery, which I find very helpful really. or- if I hear it going off and don't get to it in time I have to wait for it to go off again to cancel it out, or if I have to enter my passkey on the device I can't turn the reminder off until it goes off again.

I'm searching around trying to find an answer, thought I would try here too. I miss my palm, but the ipaq is required for work and some proprietary software so I'm stuck with it. thanks for any help.

JayLagorio
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
After going to Start -> Settings, then the Power icon, you can tell the device to turn off automatically after a certain period of idle time. It's this setting that will turn the unit off - but keep the LED flashing if you've chosen that option in Sounds and Reminders. In addition, you can help you battery by turning the brightness to an automatic settings if your device supports it, or just turning it a little lower manually if not. Any luck?

rprice54
01-15-2005, 04:45 AM
that's not it, it will shut off, but then wake up again, and then shut off, and then wake up again. If I leave it alone overnight or over the weekend; when I get back in the battery is dead.

collegea
01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Go to the built-in Calendar Application and click Tools (at the bottom of the screen), then Options. Uncheck the box where it says, "Set Reminders for new Options". No more Reminders.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Actually, all that's going to do is stop him from getting reminders for items he creates from that point on.

A more elegant solution is SBP Pocket Plus which will give you the option of stopping repeating alarms when the battery reaches a certain level. It may still run your battery down very low when you get a reminder, but at least it won't leave your battery completely drained.

rprice54
01-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Go to the built-in Calendar Application and click Tools (at the bottom of the screen), then Options. Uncheck the box where it says, "Set Reminders for new Options". No more Reminders.

I want reminders, I just don't think they have to kill the ipaq to do it. i've found a little app called appreminderplus. I'm going to give it a shot and see if it answers the question, I'll try pocket plus too.