View Full Version : Best registry and all around cleaning tool for XP?

nosmohtac
01-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I've tried memmaid and pocket mechanic for PPC, and they work quite well, but I haven't heard of a similar program for XP. What's the best program out there for Desktop/Laptop?

I would like to find something that cleans the registry from bad uninstalls.

Darius Wey
01-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Norton Utilities?

The ones for the PC aren't anything like what you would find on the Pocket PC. At a software level, the PC is a lot more complicated so "maintenance" also follows the same level of complication. You may come across more problematic scenarios after "cleaning" and your system resources may be hogged by the program. In short, if you really want to "clean up" your PC, just stick to Disk Cleanup and use the defrag tool frequently if you want to optimise system performance. My thoughts anyway...

jbachandouris
01-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Regscrub XP. It is freeware. I just did a search and the first link I clicked had a copy.

maximus
01-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Regscrub XP. It is freeware. I just did a search and the first link I clicked had a copy.

I second that.

Although some users reported weird accidents, such as these (from download.com) :

"Deletes fonts and ruins my MSN!?"
I once loved this software but find now after use that some fonts go missing and MSN needs to be reinstalled. makes me sad as it was a good piece of software.

"Dangerous"
It crash my system, so dangerous, try RegCleaner instead.

I have been using this freeware for quite sometimes, and never experience missing fonts, etc.

jbachandouris
01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Gee, maybe that person should have read which entries regscrub wanted to delete instead of blindly deleting? BTW doesn't that directions tell you to back-up your registry first?!? Amateurs :<.

juni
01-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Do what I did: Try installing Fedora by shrinking your XP partition, then realize it can't do it properly. Boot into your PC with Knoppix, rescue all your data to cd after the partition table is messed up. Insert XP install disk, wipe drive clean and reinstall XP.

Guaranteed to clean your XP completely. :(

maximus
01-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Do what I did: Try installing Fedora by shrinking your XP partition, then realize it can't do it properly. Boot into your PC with Knoppix, rescue all your data to cd after the partition table is messed up. Insert XP install disk, wipe drive clean and reinstall XP.

Guaranteed to clean your XP completely. :(

I have a much simpler solution to that.

Insert your XP installation CD into your CD drive, boot from the CD drive, and when there is an option to "Delete your primary partition", tap Y and press ENTER. It is the mother of all XP cleanliness :p

applejosh
01-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Do what I did: Try installing Fedora by shrinking your XP partition, then realize it can't do it properly.

Bummer, juni. I read about some booting issues with the previous Fedora (FC2), but I haven't really paid attention to FC3. For future disk partitioning endeavors, I highly recommend Partition Magic (by PowerQuest).

Steven Cedrone
01-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Partition Magic (by PowerQuest).

Symantec now... :wink:

juni
01-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I only had time to install XP yesterday, without any SPs or even NAV so I bet my PC will soon be one of those drones attacking PPCT. I remember reading some study that it only takes a few minutes before an unprotected computer is infected.

At the end of the XP install it shows a wizard claiming "Congratulations! You have now configured your computer for internet access!". That screen should have an animation of worms crawling into a PC. :D

Darius Wey
01-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I only had time to install XP yesterday, without any SPs or even NAV so I bet my PC will soon be one of those drones attacking PPCT.

Or rather, other drones will be attacking your PC. 8O

I remember reading some study that it only takes a few minutes before an unprotected computer is infected.

It's true - I managed to experience it first hand many eons ago. It took a wonderful 8 minutes for it to transition from clean install to mayhem. :roll:

Jereboam
01-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Ahhh...I knew there was a reason I went Apple...

Juni you should check out OS X. I recommend it over XP as a user experience...I am no raving Apple evangelist either, as I use and actually like both OSs and occasionally venture into Linuxland, playing with Suse 9.2 currently.

OS X has issues too, many and myriad, but over the last 4 months since I bought my Powerbook I have found myself dealing with quirks and issues less and getting on with the job in hand more, be it work or play.

Only one known OS X virus that is more of a proof-of-concept than anything else, and no malware etc that I am aware of.

J'bm

juni
01-27-2005, 05:09 PM
We have a lampmodel iMac and an iBook but they are used by my wife. I'm more of a Debian person myself, but she had to install Fedora for a school project. I convinced her to install Debian so I can use it myself.

I still haven't gotten around to booting into XP to update it. I actually like surfing on my hx4700 :). If it wasn't for 3D studio MAX and PSP and installing stuff on my Pocket PC I wouldn't need XP. (The Gimp doesn't quite cut it).

DerekAbney
02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
So, the consensus seems to be Regscrub as the best. Am I reading that right?