View Full Version : when upgrading software - how can i tell where it was orig installed?

zilla31
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
it's really annoying that whenever i'm upgrading software i have to remember where i installed it originally (RAM or storage card) so i can reinstall it in the same place... how can i tell where it was originally installed w/o having to search through my PPC file system first?

hope that makes sense :)

Menneisyys
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
it's really annoying that whenever i'm upgrading software i have to remember where i installed it originally (RAM or storage card) so i can reinstall it in the same place... how can i tell where it was originally installed w/o having to search through my PPC file system first?

hope that makes sense :)

The best/fastest way to do this is having a look at the given program's <program name>.unload file at \Windows. (Use e.g. Total Commander's built-in viewer because it has a WinCE FS plug-in and you can switch it into Unicode mode by simply pressing Alt-O, and then 6, so you don't lose much time when you look up where the given app was installed to). If, at the beginning of most rows, you see \Program Files\ only, then t has been installed in the main memory; if you see \Storage Card\, \SD Card\ etc., then to the given card etc.

zilla31
01-14-2005, 06:15 PM
what is total commander?

Menneisyys
01-14-2005, 06:24 PM
what is total commander?

A very good PC-based file handler app, exactly like Norton Commander from the MS-DOS times. It also has a WinCE file system plug-in, which allows TC users to access the Pocket PC file system from under TC. It's much easier than doing the same from Windows Explorer, if you prefer the Norton Commander-style.

It can be downloaded from http://www.ghisler.com/ . The WinCE FS plug-in can be found at http://ghisler.fileburst.com/fsplugins/wincefs.zip . Read the readme.txt file inside.

Of course, you don't need to use it; the Explore button on ActiveSync's window will always work.