View Full Version : Celeron M CPU for OQO??

Typhoon
01-14-2005, 03:07 AM
Here is what I was wondering. Would the OQO Model 1 be much faster and save much more battery life w/a Celeron M 600 Mhz CPU instead of the Transmeta 1 GHz CPU?

Alpha2004
01-14-2005, 04:16 AM
You mean centrino m processor right?

The whole thing would need to be redesigned...you cant just swap mobos and put a new processor on the mobo

I dont think battery life would be conserved much, and my guess is that the centrino would be faster.

The oqo is useless. Just get a pocket pc

Typhoon
01-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Oh yea I know that about the motherboads...but isn't the Sony U101 about the same size? That one has a Celeron M - 600 MHz. Well the Celeron M is a Pentium M w/out the MHz speed step technology (and maybe less cache). I was wondering how much speed and battery life difference would there be. Plus, I have a Zaurus c860 PDA, which is good, and plus I have had many Pocket PCs in the past--just sold 5 of them within the past 1 month. I just thought I had a good question...

gibson042
01-14-2005, 06:26 AM
I think it was a good question, especially for palmtop designers to consider. Unfortunately, architecture and hardware issues make it a difficult one to answer conclusively. A Celeron M would be much faster because of the Transmeta's well-documented problems with PCI bus overload, instruction set translation penalties, and cache thrashing, but battery life seems to be a toss-up. Speaking personally, though, I would prefer a Celeron M even if the battery life was 20% worse than Transmeta's offering.

Typhoon
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
I think it was a good question, especially for palmtop designers to consider. Unfortunately, architecture and hardware issues make it a difficult one to answer conclusively. A Celeron M would be much faster because of the Transmeta's well-documented problems with PCI bus overload, instruction set translation penalties, and cache thrashing, but battery life seems to be a toss-up. Speaking personally, though, I would prefer a Celeron M even if the battery life was 20% worse than Transmeta's offering.

LOL yea. Everytime I see the OQO, I don't know what to expect of the future for devices like the OQO...how much will they improve? I think the Sony U1 came out a few years ago, wasn't it? And not much has really improved since.... Actually, this technology (like the OQO) is not really new, right? It is several or more years old. So maybe there might not be much more to expect in the next two years in new technology. If that will be the case, then top of the line PDAs of the future will still reign supreme. ...All I need is a clamshell laptop functionality like Pocket PC.

gibson042
01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
There is much more development that could be done, I think. But it will not happen until there is actual demand. Definitely a chicken-and-egg problem.