View Full Version : Syncing multiple outlook contacts folders

divingJC
01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a business contact folder and a personal contact folder in outlook but my business folder doesn't sync. How can I get it to sync, but I want it to be listed in its own folder separatly from my personal folder in my contacts on my ipaq. thanks :frusty:

Deralict
01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
You need to use a third-part syncing program, ActiveSync won't do it. I use Pumatech's Intellisync--not pretty but it does the job.

ironguy
01-14-2005, 06:12 PM
MS has a tool for Pocket PC to sync multiple contact folders. Here's a blurb from the site:

Overview
The Microsoft Outlook® Add-in: Pocket Contact Synchronizer version 1.2 (PCS) helps you synchronize contacts with devices such as your Microsoft Windows® CE or Pocket PC device.

From any contact folder you specify, this add-in moves contacts easily to the device you want. For example, you can synchronize a public folder that contains team contacts. Using the Outlook PCS, you can synchronize as many contact folders as you want.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2D31C7F0-B871-49CE-9F96-712A1695E372&displaylang=EN

yankeejeep
01-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I think the issue is that the MS tool does not actually function as an on-going part of syncing. It sounds as though it is a one-off type of arrangement and needs to be rerun whenever you think you need to update the contacts on your PPC. An ActiveSync replacement like Intellisync is dynamic and automatically keeps the Contacts folders synced.

rhmorrison
01-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I have a business contact folder and a personal contact folder in outlook but my business folder doesn't sync. How can I get it to sync, but I want it to be listed in its own folder separatly from my personal folder in my contacts on my ipaq. thanks :frusty:
The proper way to do this so everything synchs properly is to NOT USE FOLDERS but instead use CATEGORIES as recommended by almost EVERYONE.
Read the ARTICLE "Categories Good, Folders Bad (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8034&highlight=contacts+multiple+folders+categories+reccomend+recommend#top)" for the HOW's and WHY's!

Robrecht
02-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Maybe I should start a new thread?

I am presuming I need something like Intellisync to do what I want since the Categories sollution mentioned above (thanks for the link rhmorrison) is doesn't seem to be appropriate for the following scenario:

I want to syncrhonize at least four separate team public folders of contacts at work with my Dell Axim x50v. All of these public folders are constantly (many times a day) well maintained by different admins on different teams so I don't have (and don't want) access to editing or adding to these folders. Hence I would like to update (one way sync) my Axim's contacts with these public folders when I sync my Axim at work.

When I get home, I'd like to updated my contacts at home by syncing with my Axim with my home laptop. Again, a one-way sync but in the other direction if you will.

In addition to these public folders on our Microsoft Exchange server, I would also like to sync my personal contacts on both my home and work computers with a two-way sync process so that each personal contact could be updated on my Axim, or on my work laptop, or on my home laptop.

I would like to maintain separate folders on my home laptop so that my wife would be able to sync only to the personal folder and not the corporate team folders.

Does Intellisync handle such a scenario in a relatively simple manner?

We have MS Outlook Exchange at work. At home, we are currently using Outlook Express but I notice that my Axim came with Outlook 2002 so I presume that we will be switching over to that, although I noticed on Intellisync's website that they support Outlook Express.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

yankeejeep
02-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Many sync programs (including ActiveSync) will not work properly (or at all) with Outlook Express, so installing Outlook on your home PC will make everything work better. Intellisync has become the workhorse of AS replacements and will most likely do what you want. You could also wander over to pocketpcmag.com and browse through the Synchronization section of their software encyclopedia to see what other options are available. Syncing subfolders in areas other than Inbox is one of the common added features in AS replacements; it is a frustration for many users.