View Full Version : Toshiba e800 & Microsoft Reader w/ 2003 SE problems

cburbach
01-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Can anyone get microsoft reader to work with Pocket PC 2003 SE on a toshiba e800? I've tried installing it several times and can't get it to work right. Microsoft claims it's 2003 SE compatible, but when reading a book or trying to navigate a menu, the place you tap the screen does not correspond to the menu item...for example, when reading a book and pulling down the menu, tapping on library will not get you to the library...it does nothing, you have you drag the stylus around the screen to find the place that corresponds to any particular function. I have had zero problems with any other software...Reader is the only one giving me headaches...and it's also the one I used to use the most!

Any help would be appreciated...

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Reader does indeed have problems on my e805 with SE. I'm trying to convince the Reader team of the case through my MVP contacts.

I have two suggestions for you:

1. I've heard that installing on the storage card will cause problems, so be sure to install in main memory.

2. As a worst-case scenario, try using SE_VGA (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14679) or OzVGA (http://207.153.195.134/) to go into "true VGA mode". While the UI controls will be small, Reader will behave properly... and you'll have the side benefit of being able to set the font sizes appropriately.

You may also find this recent thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35953) useful.

Please update this thread on how it goes. I'm collecting data I'll send to Microsoft.

--janak

yankeejeep
01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
I found that applying the VGA hack to the newest version of Reader solved my problems with the non-responsive screen after the SE ROM reflash. It seems that it was displaying full-screen on my e805 but only actually responding as if it occupied the top left quarter. If you have Tweaks2k2.Net, apply the brute force hack to Msreader.exe and do a soft reset. I haven't had any problems with the menu not responding to taps since doing this.

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I found that applying the VGA hack to the newest version of Reader solved my problems with the non-responsive screen after the SE ROM reflash. It seems that it was displaying full-screen on my e805 but only actually responding as if it occupied the top left quarter. If you have Tweaks2k2.Net, apply the brute force hack to Msreader.exe and do a soft reset. I haven't had any problems with the menu not responding to taps since doing this.
Ah, I keep on forgetting this will work with Reader. ;) I'll have to try it myself. It's essentially the same thing as using SE/OzVGA, except no soft reset is required. :)

--janak

Ripper014
01-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I loaded it in last night... (I am running in true vga with oz_vga) and it is working fine... Not my reader of choice... but if you are reading lit you have no choice. Or does the new uBook support it... hmmm...