View Full Version : Pocket Outlook email attachments on 4705 SD card

btorbik
01-13-2005, 02:12 AM
I want to store PO attachments on my 4705's SD card and am aware that there is a tab under "Options" for Storage. However, when I access that tab, it indicates that no storage card is installed. However, I have both a 1GB SD card AND a 4GB Hitachi Microdrive.

My questions are:

- why isn't one or the other of the storage cards showing up?
- is it possible to store ALL of my syncronized email (Active Sync and downloaded POP3 email) on one of the cards with a registry hack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Menneisyys
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
- is it possible to store ALL of my syncronized email (Active Sync and downloaded POP3 email) on one of the cards with a registry hack?

With Inbox (Messaging), it's impossible. It's only synch'ed email attachments that can be stored on a card, nothing else.

You can, however, put mails downloaded straight from the internet (via POP3, for example) if you use an alternative e-mail client. E.g., WebIS Mail is capable of storing your mail there. Unfortuntately, WebIS Mail is unable to map your ActiveSync-synchrnozied dekstop emails to a memory card either, which is a big problem under WinCE for reasons discussed at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36376 .

A solution for freeing up main memory is ZIP'ing all the AS synched mails by hand and storing the resulting ZIP elsewhere. As the mail headers are stored in WinCE databases, totally independently of the mail bodies present in \Windows\Messaging, (temporarily) removed mail files won't result in re-synching them (it's the WinCE database tables that AS checks and not the physical mail files).

This way, you can even store / access thousands of e-mails in your PDA (which would mean disastrous slowdowns and intability if stored in the main memory uncompressed) - it's just that you'll need some manual work (finding & decompressing) before accessing a given e-mail.

Finding a given e-mail is pretty easy if you continuously synchronize your mails - just look for the file creation date. If, however, you synch'ed all your desktop e-mails one step, you'll need to peek into them to find out when they have been posted.

Deus
02-08-2005, 09:54 PM
You could also setup your mail to automatically forward a copy of each mail you get to another account which you can dl with WebIS Mail.