View Full Version : Microsoft ActiveSync Problem

Lindquist
01-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Hello, I'm new, and I have no idea where a post like this should go, so I chose to put it here. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I've had my iPAQ since July and ever since the first time I used ActiveSync I've had problems trying to get it to Add and Remove programs.

I'm do web design and I've been using Pocket WORD to do coding (which takes long enough w/o all the automatic WORD formatting getting in the way), but I decided that today I would look around online for a free Pocket PC HTML Editor.

I've found one, but I'm running into the same problem that I've always had while trying to install program on ActiveSync. I've had the program shut down completly a few times already (I had to restart to make it work again).

When I click on Add/Remove program or open the file I downloaded that opens the same window, it just flashed on the screen for less than a second and goes away.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Don Tolson
01-13-2005, 01:08 AM
In most cases, when installing software on the Pocket PC, the vendor will provide either a) a self-contained executable; or b) a .CAB file.

In the case of a), you download it anywhere you want on your PC, connect up your Pocket PC via Activesync, then double click on the executable. Everything else should happen pretty well automagically. The only thing you should have to respond to is whether you want the application to be loaded to the default (main memory) location or somewhere else (like a CF or SD card).

In the case of b), the .CAB file should be copied to your Pocket PC via the drag and drop functions of the 'Explore' option in Activesync. You can place it anywhere you want, but I usually put it in the main memory area, not in a sub-folder. Then, on the Pocket PC, use the File Explorer to locate the file and double tap it to execute it. Again, everything should happen by itself after that point.

Does that help?

Lindquist
01-13-2005, 01:10 AM
It came with an executable file. The file then opens a window that is the ActiveSync Add/Remove Programs window. The problem is that the window doesn't stay on the screen. It loads the menu bar, and a blank white window then flashes off in less than a second.

EDIT: New Discovery. The file will open the window if my PPC is not connected. But it just brings up a window that says it can only be used if the PPC is connected. If I wait and open it after the file is connected, it just flashed on and off the screen.

EDIT: I have another question now. I went through some of the files that came with the program and noticed some things I missed before.

"Pocket PC or Pocket PC 2002 (Windows CE 3.0)
MIPS, ARMS, or SH3 processor"

My PPC is using PPC 2003, do you think that would cause a big problem? Also, the processor type on my model is SamsungS3C2410. I have no idea what MIPS, ARMS, and SH3 are so I don't really know what would work and what wouldn't.

Even with that stuff, the add/remove won't work. It took me hours to get Acrobat Reader and MS Money on here, and I don't remember what I did, if anything, to make add/remove work.

Darius Wey
01-13-2005, 03:14 AM
"Pocket PC or Pocket PC 2002 (Windows CE 3.0) MIPS, ARMS, or SH3 processor". My PPC is using PPC 2003, do you think that would cause a big problem? Also, the processor type on my model is SamsungS3C2410. I have no idea what MIPS, ARMS, and SH3 are so I don't really know what would work and what wouldn't. Even with that stuff, the add/remove won't work. It took me hours to get Acrobat Reader and MS Money on here, and I don't remember what I did, if anything, to make add/remove work.

I've not tested this program yet so I can't confirm its compatibility with WM2003. However, you're using an S3C2410 (used in the iPAQ h1900 series) which can be classified as an ARM processor. Generally, you won't come across MIPS or SH3 unless your Pocket PC is an oldie.

A few suggestions:

Try restarting your PC and soft-resetting your Pocket PC, and establish a new connection.

Search for the CAB file in \Program Files on your PC, if it resides. If it does, you can install it by copying the ARM CAB file over to your Pocket PC and tapping on it in File Explorer, or using a utility such as CabInstl to do it. You may have to dig deep for this CAB file. A good place to start is \Program Files\<Program Name> or \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync.

Lindquist
01-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Thanks a lot. There was a CAB file, and it wasn't hard to find. I was just stupid and didn't make the simple connected that a "Cabinet File" was a CAB file.