View Full Version : iPAQ Wireless ad-hoc Advanced Problem

Asdas_iPAQ
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I have been reading the forums and trying again and again the tutorials to configure an ad-hoc connection with my PPC. Here's my situation:

I have an iPAQ rx3115 (wireless built in)
I have a D-Link 520+ Wireless Network Card
The Internet is via a second network card on my computer which is then connected to a router, then a DSL modem
All drivers are installed. The internet on the computer works just fine.
I can get a signal to the computer and the iPAQ (I get a signal strength reading on both the computer and iPAQ). I cannot ping the iPAQ from the computer nor can I ping anything from the iPAQ.
Active Sync works via USB but not Wifi.
No data transfers from the iPAQ to the computer or visa versa.
I've tried Pocket Hosts and vxUtil.
I have been able to connect to wireless routers (which I don't own) and surf the internet with no problems.

I want to at least be able to Active Sync, but I really want to get the internet as well.

This is VERY weird as I have configured the DNS, WINS, Gateway, IP address.... internet sharing is turned on (on the cabled network card). Everything looks like it should all work, but doesn't.

IP is 192.168.0.10
DNS is 192.168.0.1
WINS is 192.168.0.1
Gateway is 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Using the INFO in vxUtil, there is no address for the DHCP server.

The IP Address for the cabled network card is 192.168.2.16
Subnet Mask is the same

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

PDANEWBIE
01-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Is -

IP is 192.168.0.10
DNS is 192.168.0.1
WINS is 192.168.0.1
Gateway is 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

The information on your PC wireless card or the info on your PDA?

also is

192.168.2.16 being assigned out through DHCP on your router or is it hard coded?

Why not have them all on the same 192.168.2.X?

To my eyes its looking like some of your networking numbers just do not jive with communications and hence one unit is not "seeing the other"

Remember connecting to wireless routers usually they are assigning out DHCP IP's and they will allow anyone on if they are left open which is something your PC will not do unless its Windows Server with DHCP running. Even having a router with DHCP enabled you are essentially stopping the DHCP from hitting the PPC by having the computer be the link out to the PPC.

Jorgen
01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Why are you talking about ad hoc if you are using the router. Ad hoc is to connect two network cards only, i.e. without using a router. (Example: if you didn't have a router, you could set up an ad hoc network between your computers and PPCs and dialup the Internet on the PC with the modem via a proxy server).

The PPC wi-fi card should be set at infrastructure when you want to connect to the router.

Jorgen

Asdas_iPAQ
01-12-2005, 11:59 PM
The 192.168.0.10 set are the settings on my iPAQ. The numbers did seem a little weird. The 192.168.2.16 is chosen by my router's DHCP. The router is set to 192.168.2.1. I tried changing the iPAQ to 192.168.2.XX but, it didn't work. Same thing with setting my wireless card (which is set to 192.168.0.1 because WinXP and internet sharing set it to that).

It makes some sense that having the ? in 192.168.?.XX be different causes things not to work... But I would think if things are pointing in the right direction that it should work no matter the address.

I don't have a wireless router. I have a wired router. That's why I haven't just hooked the iPAQ up to the router.

Thanks for the help!

Jorgen
01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't have a wireless router. I have a wired router.

Sorry.

If you use XP, you can configure RAS for access to the internet.
If w98, you need a proxy server, such as this http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm.

I would set WINS and gateway to the same as the computer you sync with (even if you don't run WINS).

DNS should be what your Internet-provider uses.

The IP addresses should belong to the same group 192.168.2.X as PDANEWBIE says.

Jorgen

PDANEWBIE
01-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Personally I hate to say this but I think the easiest solution is to setup a WAP at your Router. Alot less headache but it will cast you a few bucks. the nice thing about it is the WAP will put out DHCP from the router to your Pocket PC.

Asdas_iPAQ
01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Yeah, I tried turning off internet sharing and making my wireless card's IP address 192.168.0.xx but my other ethernet card (the one actually hooked up to the router) refused to send or receive any info from the internet. Interesting huh?

Any ideas as how to make the wireless card a pass-through to the wired card (hooked up to the router and internet) using 192.168.2.xx for the wired card and 192.168.0.xx for the wireless card?

If you can make sense of what I just said, any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I did try the proxy server you mentioned. Didn't work unfortunately.

Jorgen
01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I have used ad-hoc in the past with good results and a proxy server, so your setup is wrong somewhere. I am still unclear as to how your system is set up.

Tell us your system setup. Which operating system? Which IP addresses etc in your latest attempt. etc. as clear as you can. Your PPC setup (did you set it to work or internet?). ...

Jorgen

Asdas_iPAQ
01-16-2005, 02:05 AM
On my computer:

Wireless card is currently set to Auto everything with the IP address currently 169.254.131.31 and the subnet mask as 255.255.0.0 which doesn't do anything for me since it's not on the same subnet mask as the wired ethernet card. The Wireless card is a D-Link DWL-520+.

My wired ethernet card (actually integrated in the MB) is set at: IP address is 192.168.2.16, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and a gateway of 192.168.2.1. It is hooked directly to my Belkin Wired Router. The router is hooked up to the DSL modem.

The iPAQ rx3115 has been configured in every way possible. I've set the IP address and DNS / WINS settings to be automatic, I've also manually set them. They have been reset now so I don't have any particular settings on the iPAQ.

When I tried to set the wireless card to 192.168.2.?? but it "freezes" the wired ethernet card so that no internet traffic comes or goes (ie the internet doesn't work anymore). The only thing I haven't tried is setting the router and wired ethernet card to 192.168.0.?? (a different set of IP addresses). Although, I would assume that the wireless card would just freeze the internet once again.

I have an Athlon 2800+ with an Asus a7n8x, Radeon 9800 Pro, WinXP Pro, 512MB ram...

Again, any help would be great. Thanks!

Jorgen
01-16-2005, 08:17 AM
The questionmarks should be replaced by any number > 2 and < 255.

So the router is 192.168.2.1 and the wired card 192.168.2.16. Let us keep this as it is working.
The subnetmask must be the same everywhere: 255.255.255.0

We make the wireless ad hoc network a separate network: The wireless card on the PC can then be 10.0.0.3 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.2.16 (the PC's IP address). On the PPC 10.0.0.4 with subnet 255.255.255.0 with gateway 192.168.2.16.

You may have to set DNS manually on all cards to what your Internet IP uses.

Make sure that the channel and the casesensitive SSID are the same on both wireless cards. WINS may have to be set to the PC's IP address.

This should work for synching.

For internet:
Which operating system do you have on the PC? If w98/millennium/r the like you need a proxy server. If XP you can set XP up to bind the two networks. Refresh my memory as to what needs to be set on the proxy server. If the proxy server has its own IP address, use this for gateway on the wireless network (I am slightly confused right now).

Jorgen

Asdas_iPAQ
01-21-2005, 06:16 PM
None of the suggestions are working, although I am grateful for those who have tried to help me get this working. I'm thinking right now that this problem is more towards compatiblilty. I'm thinking that my wireless card is not completely compatible with my onboard ethernet connections. I think that no matter what settings I try, until D-Link talks with ASUS, I think I'm always gonna have a lose-lose situation.

Thanks again to those who helped out.

mastiff168
01-29-2005, 06:13 AM
I have similar problem like Asdas_iPAQ.

I use:
Mitac 558 (with built in wireless lan)
Planex BLW-04GM

I cannot connect to the AP though my pocket PC can see it. I tried many ways which I can find here and also making lots of telephone calls to the Technical Support. None works.

I brought the machine for checking and I was told there is nothing wrong with it. It works at their office!

Nevertheless, they upgrade the "Bios".

It then can connect to the AP for 2 days and for some reason unknown, it failed to work again thereafter. Much effort was spent and it remained the same. I nearly wanted to throw away my machines!

Then I found the message which recommend Cirond. It tried it and my pocket PC got connected at once. It is still working well. But it is not a freeware and you have to pay for it.

Try this to solve your problem: http://www.cirond.com/pocketwinc.php

Do hope it helps!