View Full Version : Activesync wows!

acetuk
01-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi.

Activesync... don't you just love it!?

I've started having major problems with my hx4705 not wanting to sync to either of my two PCs. It starts with it wanting to only connect as a Guest and ends giving me syncronisation errors.

I've tried killing the partnerships, wiping my PPC clean and re-installing everything... all the main things.

The strange thing is it can be working fine one day and then stops the next. Take yesterday for example. I wiped my PPC clean and set it all back up again, hoping this would fix the problem. It sync'd fine with my home PC. I then re-created the partnership on my work PC and it was fine. Numerous connections throughout the day were fine, both on the work PC and then on the home PC.

Then I arrive today and my work PC decides my PPC is a guest! Aaarrrggghhh!!!!! Nothing has been changed, nothing added (other than data throughout the day which didn't cause a problem).

I killed the partnership in Activesync, tried again and got a syncronisation error!!! AAaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

Thankfully I use Sprite backup every night to 'save' my PPC from these moments. A five minute hard reset and restore, recreate the full partnership again and all is working fine again.

But do I really need to have to do that almost every day? It's at moments like this I start thinking about Palm and the hotsync again.

Is anyone else going through times like this?

ironguy
01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I have been a victim of Active Sync for about 4 years now...

Currently, I own an iPaq 2215. When I put it in its cradle, the iPaq doesn't turn on and sync. I have to manually turn on the iPaq. Then, AS may or may not work. Sometimes I have to initialize it manually. Then, I often connect as Guest, or more often, I get, "Unable to retrieve device information. Please reconnect and try again.'

What was really bad is that I did a hard reset yesterday to reload programs trying to find a database conflict. When I get Guest or 'Unable', I can't load programs.

Also, I often lose sync while still connected. I'll connect and everything syncs, then I'll try to load a program and get the 'Unable to retriev...'.

AAAARRRGGGGGGGGG! (Hey! How come we don't have a screaming emoticon?)

acetuk
01-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I've had three PPC's now and this is the first that has given me any real problem.

My 2210 before it was incredibly stable and was used everyday.

I've just tried a couple of things on my hx4700 (I have a program that upon connection to Activesync tries to go on-line to retrieve news) and I am wondering if that is giving the problem. I remember this morning noticing that that option hadn't been set so I turned it on - so now it is off again and so far so good.

I just want a stable system - so much so that I'm already crossing everything I have two of that version 4 is better!

PDANEWBIE
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm not so bad off the worst activesync issues that I have had are the following -

Not able to active sync large amounts of data over bluetooth without it timing out - Resolved this by buying a card reader which in the long run is better cause I have a camera that needs media read too so this worked out for me.

Sometimes my computer forgets its relationship with the Pocket PC I have and increments up one digit with the next profile (I.E. I am now on Pocket_PC22) with no way of deleting 1-21. Of course I really don't care about this because I have no "special" sync functions that take a long time to setup and I really don't care if it sees my pocketpc as I_DONT_CARE_JUST_WORK as long as it syncs.

I really think that its an okay program but I do think there is something more to be desired. (Wondering how long it will take me to get to Pocket_PC100 if I have had it a little over a year and am at 22?)

Menneisyys
01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Sometimes my computer forgets its relationship with the Pocket PC I have and increments up one digit with the next profile (I.E. I am now on Pocket_PC22) with no way of deleting 1-21

Are you sure you can't access File/Delete Partnership while there's no PPC in the cradle? It MUST work.

PDANEWBIE
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Nope its all greyed out even with nothing in the cradle. I went around and around with this for about a week trying it in the cradle, out of the cradle, uninstall, reinstall, and even doing a pegan clensing ritual, before I gave it up and said "do I really care what it sees me as?"

Menneisyys
01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Nope its all greyed out even with nothing in the cradle. I went around and around with this for about a week trying it in the cradle, out of the cradle, uninstall, reinstall, and even doing a pegan clensing ritual, before I gave it up and said "do I really care what it sees me as?"

Have you tried removing all the keys from under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\ in the PC registry?

PDANEWBIE
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Nope I'll have to give that a try when I get home... but I have still convinced myself I don't really care :) so thats all that matters :)

msprague
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I was having ActiveSync woes recently until I stopped syncing email, then everything started working fine again. Now I guess it is time to clean out my inbox. Its worth a shot to turn off inbox syncing and see what happens.

Menneisyys
01-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I was having ActiveSync woes recently until I stopped syncing email, then everything started working fine again. Now I guess it is time to clean out my inbox. Its worth a shot to turn off inbox syncing and see what happens.

In general, only some "problematic" e-mails (mainly with attachments) cause problems to AS. (Let's say one in several hundred mails in general.) You can easily remedy the problem by simply removing the problematic mail from Outlook / moving to a different, non-synchronized folder. (It's very easy to spot the mail in question, though AS doesn't explicitly point to it.)

Of course, stopping Inbox synching is a very good idea from another point: the more files (regardless their size) in the main memory, the worse the speed/efficiency/responsiveness of WinCE. This means never synchronize more than several ten mails (or 100-150 at most) if you don't want WinCE to severely slow down. Unfortunately, synchronized Inbox mails can't be moved to a storage card. Furthermode, WinCE stores each individual mail in a separate file, unlike all decent desktop-based mailer programs (incl. the Unix/Linux Mailbox format).

markje
03-31-2005, 08:51 PM
i recently did a hard reset on my loox but now whenever try to add software to my pda it says "unable to retrive mobile data" any ideas this is a nightmare

BUMP THAT
04-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I have the sane issue with Activesync. Starts up and then quits. But if I go into guset mode it works fine. Any Udeas on how to work this out. I am using a ipaq 4705 and activesync 3.7.

yildi
04-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I have the sane issue with Activesync. Starts up and then quits. But if I go into guset mode it works fine. Any Udeas on how to work this out. I am using a ipaq 4705 and activesync 3.7.

Maybe you should try the usual solution: undock your PPC, supress the partnership; put the PPC back in the craddle and create a new partnership and let it synchorize. Tell us if this solves the problem...

Good luck (sometime we really need luck with AS...).

Murat

ignar
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I've used ActiveSync for about 4 years, and haven't encountered any major problem. I always have liked AS over Palm's Hotsync. I also love AS's auto syncing feature.

Perk
04-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I found a solution to a similar glitch

This sounds similar to a problem I had. I sync at home and at work. My home PC is and always was fine. My year old HP ZE4500 laptop at work has some kind of Active Sync file glitch. It just wouldn't sync with my HP H2210. I tried uninstalling active sync, deleting the file directory, ev erything but reformatting the laptop.

I finally got around the problem by hard resetting my PPC and then, doing the following on my PPC:
Start
Settings
System Tab
About
Device ID Tab
Then I changed my Device Name to "PocketPC"
When I synced my freshly hard rest H2210 for the first time, it synced flawlessly. It's been good ever since then.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Perk
04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
BTW:

I found that if Active Sync is set to continuously sync with my PDA, it will cancel a PDA reminder while in the cradle. So it's now set to sync upon connection and then manual sync. This is a realy nagging issue for me.

:evil:

BUMP THAT
04-07-2005, 12:05 AM
I was having all sorts of problems. So I did a Hard reset and it works fine now. I tried all types of thing at it still did not work. Thanx though.