View Full Version : MobiPocket Web Companion - how to upgrade?

terrypin
01-11-2005, 09:56 PM
At this page on the MobiPocket site
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eNews/default.asp
the instructions for upgrading the Web Companion are:
"Download webcomp.exe and save this file to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared folder on your disk."

But on my PC I have the existing version here:
C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\MobiPocket Reader\webcomp.exe

Are the instructions wrong?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Menneisyys
01-11-2005, 10:53 PM
At this page on the MobiPocket site
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eNews/default.asp
the instructions for upgrading the Web Companion are:
"Download webcomp.exe and save this file to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared folder on your disk."

But on my PC I have the existing version here:
C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\MobiPocket Reader\webcomp.exe

Are the instructions wrong?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

I can't check it now (writing on a PDA), but you can easily check out whether the .exe you've found is running - just try to move / delete it while itsd icon is visible on the taskbar (that is, it's running). If it is deleted, then it wasn't the one you're looking for.

BTW, AFAIK installing a new Mobi reader automatically updates MWC too.

terrypin
01-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks, but I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I can tell whether it's running or not, but I'm confused as to where the new version of webcomp.exe should be located.

I'm pretty sure I did get the Web Companion installed when I reinstalled ther Reader after my recent hard reset. How would it have vanished subsequently? Should there be an item in my PC startup? My PPC startup?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Menneisyys
01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks, but I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I can tell whether it's running or not, but I'm confused as to where the new version of webcomp.exe should be located.

I'm pretty sure I did get the Web Companion installed when I reinstalled ther Reader after my recent hard reset. How would it have vanished subsequently? Should there be an item in my PC startup? My PPC startup?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

MWC runs on the desktop and is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared\webcomp.exe

terrypin
01-12-2005, 10:12 AM
[quote="Menneisyys
MWC runs on the desktop and is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared\webcomp.exe[/quote]

Is that a recent change then? In the folder I mentioned in my original post, C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com, to which all MobiPocket programs were automatically installed up until now, there are these subfolders:
\eNews Creator
\MobiPocket Publisher 3.0
\MobiPocket Reader
\MobiPocket Reader PC

The subfolder \MobiPocket Reader includes MWC.

So, should I move my newly-downloaded webcomp.exe to the existing location (over-writing the existing one)?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Menneisyys
01-12-2005, 11:06 AM
[quote="Menneisyys
MWC runs on the desktop and is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared\webcomp.exe

Is that a recent change then? In the folder I mentioned in my original post, C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com, to which all MobiPocket programs were automatically installed up until now, there are these subfolders:
\eNews Creator
\MobiPocket Publisher 3.0
\MobiPocket Reader
\MobiPocket Reader PC

The subfolder \MobiPocket Reader includes MWC.

So, should I move my newly-downloaded webcomp.exe to the existing location (over-writing the existing one)?
[/quote]

It all depends which program is running. Click MWC on the taskbar, choose Help/About. The version running on my PC is 4.8 / 4804. If yours is older, then give moving a try.

However, I don't think the older version would still run - the installer of the new version must have taken care of disabling the old version and starting the new instead.