View Full Version : 2 gb cf cards fast enough to play movies ??

sunnyawesome
01-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi I'm Sunny !!

I've HP iPAQ 2215 pda which has a cf slot.
I've noticed that the CF cards are a lot cheaper than the SD cards.
I'm a person who likes watching movies on the go and in order to watch them on the pda i've to convert them to other formats like DIVx which i hate. this is because i've a pc with slow speed(it is 700 mhz ie only 0.7 ghz) so it takes a lot of time converting a 2 hour movie(nearly 3-4h).
I've my nuts on the cf cards having capacity aroung 4 gb. but can i watch movies smoothly then because a friend of mine told me that cf cards are slow. is he right ??
what are your experiences using cf cards??

thanks.... :)

PhilH
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM

You'll probably find that it isn't the speed of the CF card that's the limiting factor but the speed of the processor on your PDA.

I had a 2210/2215, and it'll cope with movies encoded at 300-400kbps OK, but anything much more and it starts dropping frames. Decoding movies is a rather processor-intensive task. You can pretty much forget viewing raw DVD files on there.

400kbps is well within the capabilities of a standard compact flash card, so that's not your problem.

Menneisyys
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi I'm Sunny !!

I've HP iPAQ 2215 pda which has a cf slot.
I've noticed that the CF cards are a lot cheaper than the SD cards.
I'm a person who likes watching movies on the go and in order to watch them on the pda i've to convert them to other formats like DIVx which i hate. this is because i've a pc with slow speed(it is 700 mhz ie only 0.7 ghz) so it takes a lot of time converting a 2 hour movie(nearly 3-4h).
I've my nuts on the cf cards having capacity aroung 4 gb. but can i watch movies smoothly then because a friend of mine told me that cf cards are slow. is he right ??

thanks.... :)

The 2215 can access the CF slot pretty fast. You will be able to acess it erven at 800-1500 kbps without any problems from a multimedia player.

BTW, that's not really true that CF's are slower than SD's. In recent machines, they may be a BIT slower, but not that much. And, in older machines (especially with machines that only accessed SD's via a 1-bit-bus, for example, the iPAQ 38xx series), CF's were even faster. + the 8-bit bus of the CF makes it possible to be accessed faster than the 4-bit SD's. No wonder hi-end cameras almost exclusively use CF's.

sunnyawesome
01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
i have never boought cf till date and i would like u ppl 2 tell me the recommended price 2 gb cf cards(company doesnt matter)

Don't Panic!
01-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Granted the processor on my X50v is faster but I think if you use betaplayer 0.05 along with the microdive mode enabled you shouldn't have any problems with .divx files.

I used to run movies from a 1GB IBM microdrive when the HP2215 was my main device. It worked well with Pocket TV and the various WMPlayers on MPEG-1 and .WMV files ( I wasn't into DIVX or XVID at that time).

I can't imagine that with the advancemnets picard_beta has made on betaplayer you would have any problems with DIVX files regardless of the card type. But SD really is the best format for that according to picard_beta.

HTH

Phillip Dyson
01-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Hero on a 2GB CF card.
I was using BetaPlayer .096 unstable.

I was fantastic