View Full Version : looking for PDA similar to UX50

yalborap
01-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Okay folks, I think this is the best place for this, since I'm dealing in general handheld devices. could be wrong, though.

I've been looking at PDAs(still haven't bought one, I'm afraid.), and found the UX50. looks awesome, in my opinion. BUT, it has a few flaws.

FLAW ONE: Palm OS. I want a pocket PC. but, I can live with palm OS.

FLAW TWO: only has a memory stick slot(NAME MAY BE WRONG.). and those are expensive. what I need is something with a CF slot.

now, is there a device out there that cures these flaws and doesn't cost a fortune? or is the UX50 as good as it's going to get without spending way too much money?

Typhoon
01-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Yea there is, but it is Linux based. It offers a lot of freeware apps, esp. in the programming area (java, c, c++, c#, python, etc.). It is the Zaurus PDA from Sharp offered in 3 different models: c760, c860, and c3000. The first two are discontinued and the last one is the latest model. The first two are pretty much exactly the same except for a couple of traits. The newest one is really cool in a few ways. It just looks much cooler in aeshtetics. It has a circular d-pad, USB host, and 4 GB harddrive. The CONS for all these models are: no wi-fi, no SDIO driver support, no bluetooth, and 0.8 inches or thicker. PROS: Linux (for portability), small size, CF & SD slots, lots of memory (128 or more), fast, 7 hrs battery life or more, very bright VGA CG Silicon screen, lots of freeware Linux programs can be ported, large driver database can be ported, GBA & SNES game emulation available (might be only legal if you dump the ROMs yourself--own cartridge), Opera browser (instead of the watered down PPC MS IE), keyboard, **jog-dial button**, large freeware developer software base (even .Net), the CF and SD slots can be read as a media card reader when connected to a PC w/USB cable, clamshell design (good screen protection?), etc. The UX50 is better in ways that: it has a camera, smaller size, thinner, larger software base, has bluetooth and Wi-Fi. CONS: (no directional pad?), almost 1/4 the battery life, half VGA screen (not VGA), and only the Sony Mem Stick slot. But note that the UX50 has an extended battery you can buy (3 x battery life) but makes the PDA a bit thicker. If Palm had a C# compiler and .Net, then I would of bought this.

Good thing is that all these models are about the same size as the HP iPAQ h2215 (just a bit thicker =( ).

But you should do a search on these models, they might work well for you. Checking out this site should help a lot: www.zaurususergroup.com. After getting most of my info from this website, I ordered a c860, which I will get by next week. A good place to get new ones is from: www.PriceJapan.com , which is the cheapest I have ever seen.