View Full Version : Replacements for Outlook and WAB

Vially
01-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Are there any ? I don't like/use Outlook, but still, I would like something to sync my PPC with my desktop. Ty.

Lex
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Not sure what WAB is, but you might need to say a bit more about what information you're seeking. Pocket Outlook, already on all PPCs syncs with Outlook on your desktop via ActiveSync. I don't use Outlook on the PC either but if I have a hard crash of my PPC, my appointments are safe on the PC side. If you want a full featured PIM (personal info. manager) I cast my vote to Pocket Informant. www.pocketinformant.com

Jereboam
01-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Outlook 2003 is actually a very good program, a real improvement, albeit too complex and "feature rich" for most users. However, it is really the only option, especially if you want to sync with a Pocket PC. That's why you get a copy with each device...

WAB is I think the Windows Address Book format which is used with Outlook Express (the horror) and basically no other email client on the entire planet. Get away from it as soon as you can. There are many ways to export your PIM information to vCards or CSV, for example, which are cross-client/platform compatible. Or you can import into Outlook.

J'bm

Vially
01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Hmm, english is not my native language, and that's not good...

Now, I'll try again to explain :):

I would like another piece of software, both on my PPC and my desktop computer, to replace Outlook, but still be able to synchronise with my PPC.

I want to use notes, contacts, mail, and so on, on my PPC, but I want another piece of software on my computer, to synchronise with my PPC.

Hmm, is it better ?

hanks for the response anyway :way to go:

Jereboam
01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi,

Hey no problem, I speak a few languages (after decades of learning) and know how it feels when you can't get your message across...

But I did actually answer you -

However, it is really the only option

- there.

On the PC, there are various options to replace the individual functions of Outlook, ie for mail use Thunderbird, for calendar/tasks/etc use Sunbird or others, for contacts use a vCard compatible app (like Thunderbird's address book). But there is nothing really that replaces everything in one program. Poco has an app that gets close but isn't perfect...

When you say that you want it to sync with the Pocket PC, then you have NO choice. It must be Outlook. There is an option to try and sync with MSN Premium but I have not tried it and what I've heard isn't good.

The Pocket PC is even more limited. There are two good Pocket Outlook replacements (these are the two biggest at least...), one called Pocket Informant and the other Agenda Fusion. I have both and now prefer Pocket Informant. But - both these applications and most others use the same Pocket Outlook databases. They are effectively just different, much more sophisticated interfaces to view the same data.

I hope that helps?

J'bm

BudPritchard
01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
With the release of Mozilla Thunderbird, possibility of a alternate for Outlook may be possible.