View Full Version : Software wish list - RSS reader software features

isomaniac
01-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Ok after 3 days of RSS usage, I have gathered some wishes of my RSS software needs:

I use Sharp Reader on home PC, Egress on PPC and Rocket Info for web based office PC RSS reading purpose.

Now I am doing this to add feeds (channels). I browse the web by my Sharp Reader. See if any website I interested offer XML URL. If yes I copied it down and add it into Sharp Reader.

If Sharp Reader can successfully use the feed (weird, it reads ALL the XML/RSS URLs I supplied, but the RSS Reader, which I was using before Sharp Reader, rejected some of these URLs) then I export the feed list in Sharp Reader into OPML file.

Then I copy this OPML file into the Pocket PC. Use Egress to import the OPML file. From there I select which feed I want to add into Egress. But this is a PAINFUL process because Egress can only import 1 channel at 1 time!!! So I have to repeat the whole "Import from OPML file, select 1 channel, wait for Egress to retrieve the Feed name, confirm to add this feed" many many times!!

And because my office PC does not allow installation of software, if I want to read the feed in my office, I have to add this feed into the Rocket Info RSS reader as well.

God!! Using 3 RSS readers mean 3 times to effort!! Not to say there are so many new feeds I want to add everyday!!!

Is there some integrated solutions so that I can:
Browse the web using IE/Firefox using desktop PC,
Get the XML/RSS URL
Import into a PC version RSS Reader
This RSS Reader can then subscribe the feed on my deskop PC
This RSS Reader also has a PPC version and a web based version.
The PC version should autosync its feed list to its PPC version when I do activesync. So NO MANUAL import/export of feed list / OPML file by user is required.

Is such software ever exist?

GSmith
01-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm not aware of any really integrated solution to this problem.

My Pocket PC based aggregator ( www.FeederReader.com ) has some features that may help you do what you are trying to do.

In FeederReader, you can define an "Online OPML" and manually update it with one menu selection (Update OPML). The entire OPML file is imported at once. This "Online OPML" can actually be a file as well and it will still allow you to update without having to "browse" to the file. So:

Export the file from your PC-based aggregator to a shared folder. If you can access the file from a shared folder on the PC, then you may just be able to Update OPML from that shared folder. I don't know if the Pocket PC can access a shared folder like this, I've never tried it. If that *doesn't* work, you can export the OPML to a folder that ActiveSync will automatically synchronize. After you sync with ActiveSync, then you should be able to use FeederReader to Update OPML using the newly updated local file.

One caveat is that right now with updating an OPML file I only *add* new RSS Feeds, I don't delete any, but I can change that or add an option so you'll be able to get the functionality you want.

I'll work with you on the FeederReader message board and we'll see how far we get. I'll look for you there!

isomaniac
01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Sorry man, I do not want to join Yahoo discussion group so I cannot join your Feed Reader message group. If you have "normal" discussion forum website I can join, please let me know.

threedaysdwn
01-14-2005, 01:49 AM
One good integrated solution is Newsgator.

They don't have a PPC program (at least not yet, I hope they do soon), but they do have a "Mobile Edition" which is a web based solution, formatted for a PPC.

isomaniac
01-14-2005, 03:31 AM

They don't have a PPC program (at least not yet, I hope they do soon), but they do have a "Mobile Edition" which is a web based solution, formatted for a PPC.

Thanks for the advice but going online with my PPC is STILL a luxury in my place. I can only go Internet while I am in very few locations. So most of the time my PPC is offline. So I need a RSS reader which can work offline.

isomaniac
01-14-2005, 09:51 AM

I took your advice and tried the Newsgator. Guess what, it is GREAT!!! It replaces Rocket Info for my web based RSS reader client. How I just wish Newsgator has a free version for pocket pc which can work offline :)