View Full Version : pdf app

apmiller
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know of an app that can read pdfs other than adobe? I downloaded it but the file was way too big for what I want.

Menneisyys
01-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know of an app that can read pdfs other than adobe? I downloaded it but the file was way too big for what I want.

You can use RepliGo ( http://www.cerience.com/viewers/pc.php ) to convert the PDF to its own, proprietary format. It's essential for QVGA users because it reflows text much better than Adobe.

(You shouldn't use other PDF -> anything converter because they like messing up with pictures / layout a lot. RepliGo is the only PDF-converter that is REALLY reliable and produces decent results.)

If you're a VGA user, however, the compatibility with PDF is clearly an advantage (meaning: you don'[t need a dekstop to convert to RepliGo). Don't be afraid of the large size: you can freely delete the contents of the plugin directory (about 3Mbytes); these plug-ins are very rarely used (not with 'traditional', off-the-web e-books).

apmiller
01-07-2005, 03:37 PM
What is the difference be VGA and QVGA? I am sure that is an incredibly dumb question.

Menneisyys
01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
What is the difference be VGA and QVGA? I am sure that is an incredibly dumb question.

The difference is based on the "old" PC terminology. VGA is a "hi-res" screen with a resolution of 640*480.

QVGA has half the resolution in both directions (320*240), meaning 4 times less pixels. This is why it is is offten abbreviated as QVGA; that is, Quarter VGA.

VGA is used in the latest-and-greatest hi-end PPC PDA's (currently, the Asus A730(W), the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, the iPAQ hx4700 and the Dell Axim x50v); QVGA screens are used in old(er)/non-hi-end ones.

yankeejeep
01-07-2005, 04:55 PM
RepliGo is a good option when you are going to have access to your desktop machine. For use when receiving PDF files when away from your desktop connection, Westtek's ClearVue PDF viewer is a good companion. It is much smaller than the Adobe Reader, but it can have difficulties opening some PDF files (depending on how they are generated). Since I receive quite a few PDF files by email when on the road, RepliGo has not been a big help to me. If you tend to have your desktop connection available, or want to take documents with you from your desktop, it may very well be just what you're looking for.

terrypin
01-07-2005, 05:40 PM

The difference is based on the "old" PC terminology. VGA is a "hi-res" screen with a resolution of 640*480.

QVGA has half the resolution in both directions (320*240), meaning 4 times less pixels. This is why it is is offten abbreviated as QVGA; that is, Quarter VGA.

VGA is used in the latest-and-greatest hi-end PPC PDA's (currently, the Asus A730(W), the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, the iPAQ hx4700 and the Dell Axim x50v); QVGA screens are used in old(er)/non-hi-end ones.

Are those VGA PPCs a similar screen size to my 2210? In practice, is there a perceptible difference?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Menneisyys
01-07-2005, 05:50 PM

Are those VGA PPCs a similar screen size to my 2210? In practice, is there a perceptible difference?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Slightly more:

Asus A730(W): 3.7"
Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720: 3.6"
iPAQ hx4700: 4"
Dell Axim x50v: 3.7"
Toshiba e800/e830: 4"