View Full Version : dell x50 vga screen? or just the x50v?

essenge
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
i wanted to get the x50 (middle of the road model, 500mhz) because of the price and i thought they had vga screen. it only shows on dells website though that the x50v has it. am i wrong?

also, if thats the case, i was looking at the ipaq rx3715 because of the camera mainly and battery life. is there anything that stands out about either series that i should know about? thanks in advance for any help.

powder2000
01-06-2005, 07:02 PM
The x50v is the only dell model with a vga screen. To my knowledge, the only new ipaq without dual wireless is the rx1700 series. I don't know if the dell has dual wireless, the other feature is the built in camera on the 3700 series.

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 07:08 PM
i wanted to get the x50 (middle of the road model, 500mhz) because of the price and i thought they had vga screen. it only shows on dells website though that the x50v has it. am i wrong?

also, if thats the case, i was looking at the ipaq rx3715 because of the camera mainly and battery life. is there anything that stands out about either series that i should know about? thanks in advance for any help.

1, only the x50v has VGA (and double slots / double wireless).
2, the rx3715 indeed has excellent battery life. But it has only got a QVGA screen, which is definitely last year's snow. What about getting a VGA model and a (with the power-hungry Dell x50v/ASUS A730w, preferably extended) spare battery? :)

Don't Panic!
01-06-2005, 07:27 PM
The x50 mid also has dual slots and dual wireless.

essenge
01-06-2005, 08:08 PM
i want the total bill to come out under 550$ including a warranty, so what are my options :)

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 08:15 PM
i want the total bill to come out under 550$ including a warranty, so what are my options :)

I'd get the Dell x50v, because it's the cheapest in the US and has excellent price/performance ratio. (In Europe, I'd get the Pocket Loox 720 instead.)

Nothing can beat a VGA screen.

EDIT: If, however, you really want a camera too, get the Pocket Loox 720 or the Asus A730W. The latter has pretty bad battery life, but PROPortable (I think still) ships a free battery with all units.

essenge
01-06-2005, 08:51 PM
my main use for this is at college, to use it for internet and keeping track of assignments etc. at work i also need to keep track of my mileage, hours, and what location i was at (excel). I have internet courses that can be accessed to from a pocket pc, and it would be nice to be able to browse the web and play games as well. The vga screen would be better then the camera, the camera is more of a "well this would be nice to have occacsionally" kind of thing, where in reality i wouldnt use it hardly that much.

MROX
01-07-2005, 04:12 AM
I'm new in PPC world, but after over a month of research I think X50 and X30 are good choice. There are many very good HP like the rx3115 (and it's cheap). If you got the extra money, VGA is certainly a major improment.

But keep in mind what are your REAL need! Remenber that it's probably not your last PPC and you will have time to get your dream one.

Good luck!

essenge
01-07-2005, 04:31 AM
well, i messed around with the 3115 i think it was tonight at circuit city, the 3715 minus the camera phone. it didnt impress me that much, the screen had an ok display, and it was pretty light. i dont like things that are so light tho, i like things to have a little weight. is there any place that sells dell products in a store? or do i have to order it online? i think ill go with the x50v, get the warranty and everything and call it quits :)

Darius Wey
01-07-2005, 04:59 AM
well, i messed around with the 3115 i think it was tonight at circuit city, the 3715 minus the camera phone. it didnt impress me that much, the screen had an ok display, and it was pretty light. i dont like things that are so light tho, i like things to have a little weight. is there any place that sells dell products in a store? or do i have to order it online? i think ill go with the x50v, get the warranty and everything and call it quits :)

Yes, that's the only "bummer" when purchasing Dell products. You can't walk into a store and test it out for yourself. Depending on your region, you may have a Dell warehouse with test samples for you to have a look at, but these are rare. The thing that would help you most with your purchase are pictures and information listed at the Dell website, and the responses of the members of this community. All in all, there's little you'll hate about the X50v. It's certainly a great device. ;)

essenge
01-07-2005, 07:45 AM

Yes, that's the only "bummer" when purchasing Dell products. You can't walk into a store and test it out for yourself. Depending on your region, you may have a Dell warehouse with test samples for you to have a look at, but these are rare. The thing that would help you most with your purchase are pictures and information listed at the Dell website, and the responses of the members of this community. All in all, there's little you'll hate about the X50v. It's certainly a great device. ;)

that remote control program you listed tonight looks pretty sweet for it too :) do you have an x50? does it have any remote control software built in? the only other thing id be curious about is do i have to get software to make the screen change orientation, or is that built in? also, i am just assuming it has IRDA built in, it says it does on aximsite.com but it doesnt mention it on dell.com.

MROX
01-07-2005, 01:58 PM
If it can help...

http://www.vgapocketpc.com/vga-pocket-pc-comparison.php

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Dell_Axim_X50v.htm

I don't know about remote, but orientation is in Windows 2003SE functionality.