View Full Version : How do you delete fonts from a pocket pc (O2)

koppee1
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
I installed a couple of chinese fonts because I thought my wife could use it but now I can't get rid of them. It always says there is a sharing violationa and they are being used. A reset doesn't work. I did delete the file in the windows/fonts dir but there is another file with the same name and file size in the windows directory which I can't delete. The other font I installed only had a file in the windows directory. And yes, I've tried deleting them after a reset and through the activesync browser. :?

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Do you have some sort of IME installed still attempting to access the fonts?

ironguy
01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Try moving the fonts to a different directory then deleting. If you still get a violation, try renaming them - including the extension.

Menneisyys
01-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I installed a couple of chinese fonts because I thought my wife could use it but now I can't get rid of them. It always says there is a sharing violationa and they are being used. A reset doesn't work. I did delete the file in the windows/fonts dir but there is another file with the same name and file size in the windows directory which I can't delete. The other font I installed only had a file in the windows directory. And yes, I've tried deleting them after a reset and through the activesync browser. :?

Are you sure they're still taking up memory?

BTW, for installing/using fonts, I certainly recommend the little tool, Fonts on Storage, at http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/FontOnStorage.zip (see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2067 and http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG for more info. WinCE has never (seemingly? I'm not sure whether they're there in the file system at all after deletion) copied the fonts used with this tool to \Windows.

Jason Dunn
01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
You should also try a soft reset to ensure that no program is open and accessing them.

koppee1
01-06-2005, 01:42 AM
well, Monster Chinese and SIP is still installed. maybe they are accessing the fonts still. but I installed the fonts after I installed both softwares. :/

Darius Wey
01-06-2005, 08:38 AM
well, Monster Chinese and SIP is still installed. maybe they are accessing the fonts still. but I installed the fonts after I installed both softwares. :/

It's beside the point. From what I can tell, the programs are attempting to gain access to the fonts, regardless of whether you installed them before or after, and that's why you're having trouble removing the fonts. You could attempt to deactivate the IMEs that are attempting to gain access by uninstalling them or disabling them, and then deleting the fonts. Try that if a soft-reset fails to work. Also, what is your default input method set to?

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 10:33 AM

It's beside the point. From what I can tell, the programs are attempting to gain access to the fonts, regardless of whether you installed them before or after, and that's why you're having trouble removing the fonts. You could attempt to deactivate the IMEs that are attempting to gain access by uninstalling them or disabling them, and then deleting the fonts. Try that if a soft-reset fails to work. Also, what is your default input method set to?

Funnily, I have the same problem. After having run Fonts on Storage in the main memory (without proper, English-language docs, I just blindly tried to make it work), the fonts (or, their links?) THEN used were copied to \Windows, and they are not removable. I have no today plug-ins (even checked the low-level service list / the Registry's 'init' section having the list of services-to-start).

Darius Wey
01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Funnily, I have the same problem. After having run Fonts on Storage in the main memory (without proper, English-language docs, I just blindly tried to make it work), the fonts (or, their links?) THEN used were copied to \Windows, and they are not removable. I have no today plug-ins (even checked the low-level service list / the Registry's 'init' section having the list of services-to-start).

There's no real documentation needed for FontsOnStorage. Simply execute the program and it runs in background and sits in the command bar for easy access. The fonts definitely aren't being copied to \Windows. I have a ~8-9MB Chinese font installed that I regularly use, and it resides on the storage card, even when FontsOnStorage is running. No noticeable drop in available memory is recorded when the program is executed. What fonts were you trying, and what input programs do you have installed?

koppee1
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
yikes. I was hoping I didn't need to unistall the software. hehe. I guess I'll do that when she needs more memory. I'm of unistalling the Monster Chinese software as it actually allowed the reading and writing of chinese everywhere. Notes, SMS, EMAIL, Today screen, calendar etc. It might screw up the phone if i try to remove it hehe...I'm too lazy to install all the software in my wife's phone again. The last time I needed to hard reset it, it took me like an hour to "finish" her phone. whew.

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 11:01 AM

There's no real documentation needed for FontsOnStorage. Simply execute the program and it runs in background and sits in the command bar for easy access. The fonts definitely aren't being copied to \Windows. I have a ~8-9MB Chinese font installed that I regularly use, and it resides on the storage card, even when FontsOnStorage is running. No noticeable drop in available memory is recorded when the program is executed. What fonts were you trying, and what input programs do you have installed?

Yeah, but they were copied when I put my fonts at first (it was later that I've discovered that it must be run on a storage medium because it maps fonts in its current directory) to \Windows\Fonts. Strangely, all my fonts were copied to \Windows when I ran Fonts on Storage.

I've long removed Fonts on Storage (according to its users, it delivers serious speed hit to the PDA because of its constant polling and I don't generally use specific fonts) and have no non-system processes running; still, can't delete the fonts.

Darius Wey
01-06-2005, 11:01 AM
yikes. I was hoping I didn't need to unistall the software.

Usually, it's not needed, but from what it sounds like, the culprit is the input program itself. Usually, fonts can be deleted pain-free, but there are scenarios which make this pain-free action close to non-existent. If none of the other solutions have worked for you thus far, I'd consider uninstalling it and reinstalling it... But only when you have to. ;)

Darius Wey
01-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but they were copied when I put my fonts at first (it was later that I've discovered that it must be run on a storage medium because it maps fonts in its current directory) to \Windows\Fonts. Strangely, all my fonts were copied to \Windows when I ran Fonts on Storage.

I've long removed Fonts on Storage (according to its users, it delivers serious speed hit to the PDA because of its constant polling and I don't generally use specific fonts) and have no non-system processes running; still, can't delete the fonts.

Interesting. I've not encountered any performance hits or other problems when using it. I do have FontsOnStorage on my SD card, but not in the same folder as where my fonts reside on the card. I'll see if I can investigate your problem a little further - perhaps see if I can reproduce it on other devices, and I'll keep you updated. :)

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 11:08 AM

Interesting. I've not encountered any performance hits or other problems when using it. I do have FontsOnStorage on my SD card, but not in the same folder as where my fonts reside on the card. I'll see if I can investigate your problem a little further - perhaps see if I can reproduce it on other devices, and I'll keep you updated. :)

Yeah, I'll try to repdoduce it too because it can be quite instructive for other Fonts on Storage users.

Darius Wey
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Menneisyys, where did you stick your fonts originally? For FontsOnStorage to work properly, the fonts must reside in a folder called Fonts on the storage card.

sheik
01-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem on a newly installed Pocket PC with no Chinese apps. I copied the Chinese font MingLiu (I think it is a .ttc file) into the Windows/Fonts directory. Once I'd done this, neither File Explorer or Resco File Explorer could delete it as something in the operating system had locked the file.

[Incidentally, just having this font present on a Western device is useless, Pocket IE still won't use it, even on WM2003SE - you need to install a Chinese viewing app such as CE-Star (www.mobem.com) ]

Anyway, I was able to delete the font from my desktop using ActiveSync.

Regarding FontOnStorage, I have used it without any problems, although I only activate it before loading a Chinese specific program, like a dictionary. For users who need Chinese fonts, it is pretty much an essential app, as each font can be 8-20Mb+ in size. MS really didn't consider this when they restricted the OS to only access fonts in one directory :(.

Good luck to the OP in deleting his font!

/\dam

koppee1
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
the font mingliu is needed if you install a chinese-english-chinese dictionary on your ppc :)

I have that installed on my wife's ppc as well for that purpose. The fonts I wanted to delete were named mssong and err...can't remember the other one now hehe. THose I don't think are needed :D