View Full Version : Ipaq 4150 Memory Capacity....

dibbs26
01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi,
I have an Ipaq 4150 and recently I have loaded some software on to it.
Obviously the available internal memory is decreasing, what is the best thing to do to stop this....Is it to purchase an sd card and save all my files to it etc or to upgrade the internal memory ?
Any help appreciated
cheers :?

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Due to the limitations of on-board RAM, the best solution would be to install programs on an SD card, or you can also install a couple (there won't be room for many) in the iPAQ File Store. However, essential programs and today-plugins should be installed in RAM for the purposes of performance and also because the storage card tends to be initalised after the unit is turned on, so today-plugins may not work all that well when installed on a storage card. Having said that, the "others" can go on the storage card. While it does require you to spend a bit of money, it will work out to be the better solution in the long run. A 1GB card is quite affordable these days. You will also be able to use it to store your audio, video, images, documents, etc.

dibbs26
01-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply darius. I have a 1GB SD card so I will now put my documents etc onto that.
I have recently purchased MS Money V5 and code wallet...should these stay in RAM?

Also what is IPAQ file store?

Cheers

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I've installed Money in RAM, but I'd assume CodeWallet would be fine on the storage card. In fact, most programs should work fine on the storage card. The ones that I'd recommend installing in the main memory (assuming you use them) are PocketBreeze, Pocket Plus, Microsoft Reader, etc. "Non-essentials" should be okay on the card.

Your iPAQ File Store is the non-volatile memory. The content in it still resides even after a hard reset. Most of the older devices don't have a huge amount available. In fact, the h4150 only has a ~2.8MB File Store - it's really not enough for practical use. I'd reserve it for backup files, etc. If you open up File Explorer and navigate to the root level, you should see an iPAQ File Store entry there.

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Moved to iPAQ Forum...

WyattEarp
01-06-2005, 12:01 AM
You could also move all files, books, etc. and install all your games (if any) to a SD card and just leave the progrmas on the iPAQ. I have done this with mine and it has worked out very well. :D Just a thought.