View Full Version : Does your local electronic store have VGA PPCs?

marcm
01-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Hey everyone,
I've noticed that none of the elecronic stores in my area (Future Shop and Best Buy) have been carrying the new VGA Pocket PCs. I want to be able to actually SEE the difference before I even consider these Pocket PCs. I will most likely keep my X30 for another year (or more) but it would be nice to see these new devices. I even noticed that the stores have been shrinking the PDA section. What about you? Does your local store carry any VGA Pocket PCs?

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 03:13 AM
I would have picked Yes and No if the option existed. I have a lot of electronic stores around my area, and each offers their own selection of PDAs. One store seems to have more Palms than Pocket PCs. Another store seems to have more Pocket PCs than Palms. While another seems to have every HP iPAQ (hx4700 included) and Toshiba Pocket PC (e830 included) you could possibly imagine. Some stores just don't readily stock them because for the general (and I mean, general) consumer, they're not out there for the biggest and best one, so a QVGA Pocket PC is probably enough for them.

MROX
01-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Funny!
I'm too lazy to search my old post (about a month old), but it look strangely like yours...

I did a lot of research on the web. Then I decided to see those beauties in store... :grumble:
There was no new PPC model!!! I did many stores in US and Canada. The only one I could find (thanks to Ripper014) was the Toshiba e830 at Staples (or Bureau en gros in Québec province).
Then with that one in my hand (and a lot more web research) I guessed for the other one.

I finally bought a Dell X50V last week and I can't wait to receive it! :mrgreen:
I was looking for a small size, WiFi, VGA, without camera (I would maybe have chosen the A730W otherwise).
I think I can live with the cheaper screen and later on I can buy a better Mugen battery and upgrade RAM if I really need it.

I'm really not a Dell type of guy (for no good reason...). But I know many engineering company are using Dell computer, laptop, and screen. So I tough I could give a try. At that price... you have to think about it.

Good luck in your quest, its part of the fun!

Ripper014
01-05-2005, 04:24 AM
I don't know about the Toronto area... but in Vancouver... the only VGA PPC that I have been able to find at a local brick and mortar is the Toshiba e830 and e800.

They are at the local Staples... and for me Office Depot... and a western chain called London Drugs... Only Staples and Office Depot have them on display. I would suggest bringing a copy of oz_vga with you, and don't let them catch you installing it.

To be totally honest I did not think it was such a big deal until I went to true vga... Many still do not run their units this way... and if I were to not to go to true vga I would stick with what I have. There is no real advantage... other than a crisper display... not enough to warrant a new device.

If you were planning on getting the Toshiba e830 you missed a great sale... it was going for $499can at my local Office Depot.

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Yes and No here too. Yes if you take the 's' off of VGA PPCs. The local CompUSA has a 4700 among the othe HPs and Palms. Most of the time you won't be doing any screen comparisons though. Their actually functioning is a bit hit or miss. :?

pedroboe
01-05-2005, 08:02 AM
i'm going blind for the iPaq 4705, based on the advice of the good people of this website and others like ipaqhq.com.
I sudder to think to have to go to a Staples because I know I will end up educating the salespeople . Plus many times, the units are damaged or lack charge anyway ...There's so much information on the internet that I'm ready to receive my iPaq (delivered on Thursday ) and I will enjoy seeing for the first time but knowing it inside out through these pages.

ToddJ
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Best Buy has decided to not carry many PDAs in their stores. They have them online, but not in the store. They just carry the "middle of the road" PDAs in the store - not the high end ones, but not the low end ones. I think it is dumb myself.

Anthony3000
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a staples near me and they carry the toshiba e830 along with other QVGA pocket pcs

marcm
01-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Yeah, the Staples online store said they have e830s in my area, so I'll check it out soon. Unfortunately, the PDAs are right near the customer service area, so I can't install any software... :cry: :wink: