View Full Version : HELLP!!!!!!!!! I deleted windows/startmenu/programs

ipaq1940
01-05-2005, 02:35 AM
SH*T! I was trying to delete a shortcut to start menu/programs, and actually deleted the whole thing! Almost all of my programs stopped working, file explorer is gone, etc.. HELP, PLEASE!!!!!

ipaq1940
01-05-2005, 02:36 AM
I mean, is there a way to restore this without a hard reset?

Ripper014
01-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Yes... if you have a backup... using your built-in backup you should be able to do a selective restore... Just choose the elements you want to restore.

JD Silver
01-05-2005, 02:59 AM
I cannot remember how to do it, but there was a way to run a program by a convoluted combination of button presses. A command window would open, then you could type in the command desired. I think that the command to start fileexplorer is :MSFEXPLORE in the \windows directory.

Although I've never tried to recreate the entire start menu, I have simply pasted shortcuts into it when programs occasionally 'disappear'. How about creating a new Start and Programs folder, then paste a few shortcuts (copy, followed by 'paste as shortcut' on the context menu) into the Programs folder. Do a soft-reset, and see if the start menu reappears.

I'll try to find the 'key-combo' to open the run command. Perhaps someone else would know.

JD

ipaq1940
01-05-2005, 03:02 AM
nothing worked.... I had to hard reset, and I didnt have any backup! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Although I've never tried to recreate the entire start menu, I have simply pasted shortcuts into it when programs occasionally 'disappear'. How about creating a new Start and Programs folder, then paste a few shortcuts (copy, followed by 'paste as shortcut' on the context menu) into the Programs folder.

Unfortunately, without a link to File Explorer, it's hard to do this. And to open File Explorer (fexplore.exe) through File Explorer won't work, unless you can access File Explorer. :roll:

You could have got around this by installing another file browser, but you've already hard reset your device, which is by far the quickest and pain-free (perhaps?) solution.

JD Silver
01-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Darius,

Your right...doh!
Embarassed Is there a way to open a text command window? I recall doing this to update the ROM of one of my many devices.

JD

marcm
01-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Is there a way to open a text command window? I recall doing this to update the ROM of one of my many devices.
JD
I don't think that's in WM right now, but I remember it from HPC 2000. I think it had a "run" function, and you had to enter in something to use the text command. I can't remember what though... :?

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Is there a way to open a text command window?

Are you referring to something like CMD.exe in Windows? PocketConsole (http://www.symbolictools.de/public/pocketconsole/index.htm) offers something like that, although correct me if you were after something else?

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 03:27 AM
I don't think that's in WM right now, but I remember it from HPC 2000. I think it had a "run" function, and you had to enter in something to use the text command. I can't remember what though... :?

If you're after a "Run" function, it still resides in WM2003, although it's well hidden. Hold down your D-pad action button, and tap-and-hold the time, then release the D-pad action button, and select Run.

marcm
01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
If you're after a "Run" function, it still resides in WM2003, although it's well hidden. Hold down your D-pad action button, and tap-and-hold the time, then release the D-pad action button, and select Run.
Woah I didn't know that! :? I don't even think it was in the manual for my X30 (Although it could have been) I'll look and see if I can find what to put for the command prompt function.

JD Silver
01-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks Darius!

It just worked fine on my SPH i700 running WM2002. After selecting 'Run', I simply entered fexplore and the file explorer opened.

JD

marcm
01-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Thanks Darius!
It just worked fine on my SPH i700 running WM2002. After selecting 'Run', I simply entered fexplore and the file explorer opened.
JD
I was just about to post that, but you beat me! :wink: I seem to remember an actual command prompt (like from desktops) but I guess Microsoft removed that. It wasn't a feature I used much anyways, it was just neat to have it there. :wink:

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Woah I didn't know that! :? I don't even think it was in the manual for my X30 (Although it could have been) I'll look and see if I can find what to put for the command prompt function.

Nah. It's a hidden function. I haven't recalled it appearing in any manuals at all. :?

You can stick pretty much anything in the Run command. Program names, documents, eBooks, etc. It should run.

OSUKid7
01-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Wow! Where do you find these things?! Seriosuly, I'm always amazed with these hidden features you find. :) Awesome job! :way to go:

ipaq1940
01-05-2005, 06:05 AM
Doh! I could have just installed another explorer!
Luckily, (or not), my last day off school (for the break) is tomorrow. So I havent out alot of important stuff like homework, assignments, etc on it. Just a school schedule in excel. Thanks for the help.

Janak Parekh
01-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Wow! Where do you find these things?! Seriosuly, I'm always amazed with these hidden features you find. :) Awesome job! :way to go:
You're obviously not reading this site enough. :P We've posted on it at least once, maybe not frontpage, but certainly in the forums. ;)

--janak

OSUKid7
01-05-2005, 06:09 AM
You're obviously not reading this site enough. :P We've posted on it at least once, maybe not frontpage, but certainly in the forums. ;)
:oops: First time I've ever seen that. Yeah, I read most of the frontpage stuff, but aren't on top of every forum post...yet. ;) :lol:

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Doh! I could have just installed another explorer!

That would have been the rational move, but under extreme, panicky circumstances, it's totally understandable. :D

dylanbj
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
I tried holding down the action button then pressing the stylus on the task bar (the bit between the start button and the clock) until the little blue circle goes around, then i let go of the action button. A weird window came up called 'Internal use spy' and at the bottom of the window it asked me if i want to dump the parent :? .
Anyone know what that means??

Menneisyys
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I tried holding down the action button then pressing the stylus on the task bar (the bit between the start button and the clock) until the little blue circle goes around, then i let go of the action button. A weird window came up called 'Internal use spy' and at the bottom of the window it asked me if i want to dump the parent :? .
Anyone know what that means??

It only displays infos related to the windowing system (window handles etc.). Totally useless for non-programmers/debuggers.

surur
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
The simplest thing to do is to activesync and Explore to the right directory.

You can then from your desktop rebuild your start menu and programs at your leisure. No complicated command prompt or installing another file explorer.

Surur

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
You can then from your desktop rebuild your start menu and programs at your leisure. No complicated command prompt or installing another file explorer.

It's a good solution if you have access to a PC. But if this drama unfolded with restricted access to a PC, you'd be a "baked cookie". :D

surur
01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Not so easy to install Resco without acess to a desktop either. (although I'm sure the cabs are available from somewhere).

I tried to imagine myself without access to my filesystem and programs, and it was nearly impossible to get anything running. The only thing I could think of was using pocketplus today screen launcher, where I could install any shortcut I wanted and get it running. If ipaq1940 had this on his today screen (or similar) he would have been set.

Ipaq1940 - next time dont panic, and you could have saved yourself a lot of work.

Surur