View Full Version : Beginner's software suggestions

firewired
01-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Tomorrow when I receive my Imate Jam that will be my first PPC device after years of using a palm. Some have mentioned a program to close inactive programs.

Could you all suggest which programs are must haves?

Thanks for any pointers.

UCCOFFEE
01-04-2005, 07:21 AM
There is no MUST have for your pocketpc
only depends what you want to do with it

The IMATE JAM 's preload software will take you a few days to go through, see how it goes first

There are always FREEWARE and SHAREWARE to try before you buy

if you do read ebook, the only software I think you must get is ubook, but the screen of the imate jam is quite small.... very hard to read

Pocketpc will definately fade away, but Pocketpc phone will definately stay.
That's why MS change the name to 'MS MOBILE' cos it's a mobile phone
XDA II mini is great!

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Pocketpc will definately fade away, but Pocketpc phone will definately stay.

Not until there're hi-end (read: VGA etc.) combos. Right now, combos have pretty lousy PDA's, definitely not meant for PDA-tech freaks.

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Tomorrow when I receive my Imate Jam that will be my first PPC device after years of using a palm. Some have mentioned a program to close inactive programs.

Magic Button is prolly the best for this.

rhmorrison
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
My favorite is currently Icbar (http://www.ictinus.com/icbar/).

koppee1
01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
go to www.pocketpcmag.com and check out their 2004 software awards. That will give you some idea on what software is good :)

you can also go to www.pocketgear.com and check out the different software. Just browse through all of them and see what you like. That's what i did :)

firewired
01-04-2005, 03:52 PM
In the Palm there are certain core programs like a file management program or back-up program that seem the best, and that most users have. There are tons of programs for PPC that seem to do similar things.
I was just hoping to find out what real users had on their PPC, that they found indispensable, so I could start by looking at those.

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
In the Palm there are certain core programs like a file management program or back-up program that seem the best, and that most users have. There are tons of programs for PPC that seem to do similar things.
I was just hoping to find out what real users had on their PPC, that they found indispensable, so I could start by looking at those.

You should also check out the Software forum here on PPCT; there're quite a few 'best' topics. Thye're indispensable. If you don't find them, tell me and I collect you the URL's (not now because I'm over a dog-slow GPRS connection, meeting some friends.)

As for games, I'd prefer checking out pocketgamer.org to PPCMag; the latter seems to have sometimes pretty strange /misleading categories. PocketGamer's forums are a bit better in this respect.

emuelle1
01-04-2005, 04:30 PM
As posters said above, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Do you need to use it as a PIM? Will you be a multi-media type person, or do you mostly need it for data storage and remote office apps? There are programs you can use for all kinds of things. You can find programming language compilers and even html editors (although I imagine coding would be kind of cumbersome on a PPC.)

Take a few days to surf this forum. There are a lot of good topics. I tend to stick to freeware applications, and there are still some good programmers who code just for the fun of it. http://www.freewareppc.com/ is one of my favorites, and I check it at least every couple of days. Also, there is http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php, which has a lot of good stuff. You'll find that most Pocket PC sites have about the same stuff, and these two are the most comprehensive I've found.

I just surf through these forums and if something new and good comes out, especially if it's free, I'll give it a shot.

MROX
01-06-2005, 03:38 AM
... that will be my first PPC device after years of using a palm.

I'm in the same situation as you (exept it's a X50V). Personaly a will aim to a good organzer (contact, agenda...), a good street map program without GPS and a DVD to PPC software. Some cheap game maybe...

Those are my first goal.

Heres another one. I have been told it's good. http://www.free-pocket-pc-software.com/

Good luck!

UCCOFFEE
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Menneisyys

Magic Button doesnt work properly in imate JAM, the phone software will stuff up

rhmorrison

... same as icbar... ICBAR is the best!!! but it doesnt work with screen rotation...