View Full Version : connecting to internet

Jreis
01-04-2005, 01:19 AM
hello all I have a dell axim x5 (I guess its considered old by know)

Anyway I have a home wireless network setup and I would like to have my pocketpc be able to connect to it. I have a linksys wireless compactflash card and awireless broadband router which is connected to a cable modem and of course my desktop pc. Anyway I think my network connection is working but I still can not get on the net. Although when I hold my pocketpc up it says I have 100% signal strenth and 100% link quality?

so why can I not go on the net with it. I am not sure what I misconfigured.
the error I get says "Unable to connect with current settings."

any help thanks

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
hello all I have a dell axim x5 (I guess its considered old by know)

Anyway I have a home wireless network setup and I would like to have my pocketpc be able to connect to it. I have a linksys wireless compactflash card and awireless broadband router which is connected to a cable modem and of course my desktop pc. Anyway I think my network connection is working but I still can not get on the net. Although when I hold my pocketpc up it says I have 100% signal strenth and 100% link quality?

so why can I not go on the net with it. I am not sure what I misconfigured.
the error I get says "Unable to connect with current settings."

any help thanks

If the linkquality is displayed at all, it means you have a Wi-Fi connection. I think your problem is very simple: your Wi-Fi card is using 'Work' instead of 'The Internet'. This is why you can't browse web pages.

Are yoiu abke to access any non-Web resources (ping, ftp, e-mail etc.)? If yes, all you have to do is

1, either, switching to using 'The Internet'

2,or, if you have the WM2003 upgrade on your X5 (I certainly recommend it, noit just because of the advanced Connectivity, WZC and stuff!), you can add *.* to Advanced/Exceptions to let PIE to access hostnames containing dots over a Work connection too.

Jreis
01-05-2005, 01:43 AM
in my settings the "my network card connects to: always set's itself to "work" even though I select "The internet" and click ok. Where do I go to delete or make sure it does not keep defaulting to the work setting?

Thanks

Menneisyys
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
in my settings the "my network card connects to: always set's itself to "work" even though I select "The internet" and click ok. Where do I go to delete or make sure it does not keep defaulting to the work setting?

Thanks

If your connection is active, just press the network in the connection manager, and reset it to connect to Internet. That is, go to Settings/Connections/Network cards; on the 'Wireless' tab, click the network you've connected to. On the General tab, change 'Work' to 'The Internet'; OK. This settng will be preserved during subsequent connections too.

If it doesn't help: do you have WM2003?