View Full Version : Synch 2 PPC Devices (One 2002, One 2003) to One PC/Outlook

Gareth Lock
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
As a New Years Resolution I am trying to help my wife become more organised and I am thinking of getting her a cheap PPC. I currently own a 2210 and use it all the time to organise my life. I want to buy her something that is small, easy to use, doesn't have that many features (but could have an SD slot & BT), and is cheap (around £100, secondhand/Ebay definitely considered).

Options include 1900 series (and any others you may have) but I want to know whether I can synch 2 machines against one laptop which runs Outlook 2002 and AS 3.7.1. I want to share the Outlook file and synch against that and will make some items 'private' if need be. If I do, how does AS know which AS Username to make private with and against?

Thanks for any help, I did a search on 'Multiple Device' and got 25000 returns!!

Regards

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Menneisyys
01-03-2005, 07:44 PM
[quote="Gareth Lock"]I want to share the Outlook file and synch against that and will make some items 'private' if need be. If I do, how does AS know which AS Username to make private with and against?[ /quote]

You mean you have 2 Outlook users and want to separately synchronize their stuff, OR just want to synch everything except some stuff, if, for example, you have only one Outlook user?

The former is AFAIK possible, because you can separately add up the personal folders of both / either users to a given synch'ed machines.

The latter is definitely not possible with AS, because there can't be any filtering (meaning: only those mails are synch'ed that fulfill certain filtering requirements) options in AS, except for the username/the folder. For this, you have to resort to advanced synch tools like IntelliSync. You can configure it to synch mails to a given machine which don't have a given word (e.g. "confidential", a corporate mailing list name etc.) in the Subject field. Also, a lot of other filtering.

Gareth Lock
01-03-2005, 08:08 PM
I have only one calendar file but is it possible to make some entries private so as not to clog my wifes calendar up with some of my mundane stuff? I presumed that this was achieved by using 'private', but if I do use 'private' how does AS know which items to make private or do they only stay on the device which created the entry?

We want to use one calendar file so that we can see what each of us is doing. I spend alot of time away from home so I need to know what she is doing so that I don't double book something and end up in the doghouse!!

Is there any limitations between working between 2002 and 2003 devices - any software that is commonly used that might not work between the 2. Eg If I synch something on the 2003 machine, will there be a problem if I load that synched file onto the 2002 machine. I can't see Jenny using anything too different from standard PPC fiels but just checking.

Thanks

Gareth

Menneisyys
01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Is there any limitations between working between 2002 and 2003 devices - any software that is commonly used that might not work between the 2. Eg If I synch something on the 2003 machine, will there be a problem if I load that synched file onto the 2002 machine. I can't see Jenny using anything too different from standard PPC fiels but just checking.

There won't be any problems because you aren't passing PPC2k2/WM2003-format 'binaries', but the same desktop Outlook fields.

Menneisyys
01-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I have only one calendar file but is it possible to make some entries private so as not to clog my wifes calendar up with some of my mundane stuff? I presumed that this was achieved by using 'private', but if I do use 'private' how does AS know which items to make private or do they only stay on the device which created the entry?

We want to use one calendar file so that we can see what each of us is doing. I spend alot of time away from home so I need to know what she is doing so that I don't double book something and end up in the doghouse!!

Will check it tomorrow if I have some spare time - I can only check its help now, and it doesn't list all the filtering capabilities. Hope it supports filtering on the 'private' field too, not only on the Data range (Configuring Intellisync/Advanced Settings/Determining what gets synchronized/Using Advanced Settings/Limiting synchronized records to a date range only lists this capability).

BTW, you can also download it from http://www.intellisync.com/go/products/client-synchronization/intellisync-handheld-edition/index.cfm - the config interface is pretty intuitive.