View Full Version : New-B with some questions for SX66

tank5559
01-02-2005, 12:15 PM
hello all!

i am having problems and hopefully you all can help me out.

1) Why do my programs run after i close them? I find myself going to the "memory" and stopping all programs. I found out my internet exploer was on all night and im not sure if it was reciieving data or not? Is there any software i can install to make sure when i close a program that it stays closed till i restart the application?

2) how do i convert my mp3 files to mid files? I have converted it to wav, but files are way too big.

3) how can i add files directly to my SD card? When i sync it, i cant find a way to drag files to the SD card?

4) does anyone know the exact size specification to use a background? when i adda different background it is usually way to big...

Thank you all in advance :devilboy: :devilboy: :devilboy:

szamot
01-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Well I am sure you are not the first and not the last to ask these questions but at least you have found the right place to seek some answers.

1. First off, you actually do not close the application in PPC when you tap the X, you minimize it, PPC OS “manages” them in memory and allocates the necessary resources to the applications that you are actually using. But as we all know that’s not a very good solution. There are at least a dozen good applications you can use to close the running apps. Personally I use SPB Pocket Plus and I like it because it offers a lot of other features. However, as I said before there are a lot of others ones.

2. I am not sure why you would want to convert to midi files since PPC is quite capable of playing MP3’s and with storage as cheap as it is you can carry a lot of them on your PPC in MP3 format. Once again there are hundreds of programs that will convert music to MP3. I use CDex it works for me.

3. Adding files to your SD card is also a breeze. Once your device is connected you can right click on the green active sync icon and select Explore, from then click on My Pocket PC and you should see your Storage Card ready for your files. You can also pull your card out and use a card reader if you have one, it is a lot faster but the net result is the same.

4. As far as this questions goes I am not sure if you are referring to applications running in the background or if you are talking about your “desktop” theme if you will theme. But if we are talking about themes most of mine are between 50 and 120K which is not that huge. You will notice that once your applications are shut down and not running in the back ground you will be much happier with the performance of your PPC

Enjoy your new toy!

JustinGTP
01-02-2005, 11:09 PM
2) how do i convert my mp3 files to mid files? I have converted it to wav, but files are way too big.

It is impossible to convert an MP3 to a .midi file because a .midi file is composed of chords. It won't sound anything like the orginal song. .Midi files are meant for ringtones (Usually called "Polyphonic" ) and other small applications.

-Justin.

Darius Wey
01-03-2005, 04:59 AM
It is impossible to convert an MP3 to a .midi file because a .midi file is composed of chords. It won't sound anything like the orginal song. .Midi files are meant for ringtones (Usually called "Polyphonic" ) and other small applications.

To add, MP3 > MIDI conversions aren't the easiest of all things. A number of programs automate the process, but they sound like complete rubbish if you don't pick the right instruments.

threedaysdwn
01-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Um, you can't convert MP3 to MID. MID (MIDI) is simply a list of notes, which are played back by a synthesizer (which just plays back pre-recorded samples of an instrument). It's not actually an audio file. That's why they're so small... it's basically just text.

Darius Wey
01-04-2005, 03:28 AM
Um, you can't convert MP3 to MID. MID (MIDI) is simply a list of notes, which are played back by a synthesizer (which just plays back pre-recorded samples of an instrument). It's not actually an audio file. That's why they're so small... it's basically just text.

Of course. That's if you're expecting the same audio quality - it's virtually impossible, since MIDI is a bunch of tripe in comparison to high-quality audio strings. However, you can transcode MP3s to WAVs, and then attempt a WAV > MIDI conversion, but the fact is, all you'll be getting is a "lame" (no disrespect to the MP3 codec) output sound. There's a reason why polyphonic ringtones don't sound exactly like the real song. That is why I said in my previous post that they sound like complete rubbish if you don't pick the right instruments to link to the list of notes.

tank5559
01-04-2005, 11:32 AM
thank you all for your advice!

does anyone know how to assign a ringtone to a caller? i cant seem to find how? i can assign a new universal ringtone, but not multiple ring tones??