View Full Version : Adding rx3715 to my Network

Mr_Blonde
01-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey All.
Simple question. How would I got about getting my rx3715 to show up on my network in my house. I would like to share a folder on my HD and then play the MP3 streaming off my rx3715. So how do I have my rx search network drives? Do I need to join it my domain? :?

dhettel
01-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Simple answer, you can't do what you want. All PocketPC are setup as clients, and not servers. As such they can browse your network, but the PocketPC can not be browsed.

To do what you want, you will need to purchase PocketPC server software. You might want to take a look at www.cam.com I am not aware of a full Network Neighborhood type program for the PocketPC.

Their are a number of programs (like Resco Explorer) that will allow you to browse your network, and read, or play files from the PC, but this is not what I hear you asking to do. You want to be able to read file and play them off of the PocketPC.

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Hey All.
Simple question. How would I got about getting my rx3715 to show up on my network in my house. I would like to share a folder on my HD and then play the MP3 streaming off my rx3715. So how do I have my rx search network drives? Do I need to join it my domain? :?

1, you don't need your PDA to 'show up" on your network - you can access the shared directories of the desktop PC's in the local network without installing any tools.

2, the 3715 already comes with the Nevo multimedia server capable of streaming multimedia stuff to the client, but beware: do NOT use it for MP3's, because Nevo is unable to stream MP3's, only ASF's. The solution is using, for example, Pocket WMP on the PDA to access shared MP3's w/o dowloading them to the PDA first. Beware, some other PPC MP3 apps (e.g., BetaPlayer) don't seem to support playing shared MP3's.

I've posted a similar answer to the HP forum here some days ago, but can't find the topic now because I'm off a slow GPRS connection, with a PL720 + BT keyboard, meaning restricted capabilities.