View Full Version : ActiveSync over Wifi... Pulling my hair out!

timb
01-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Okay... I'm not sure who at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to separate connections into "Work" and "Internet" categories under Windows Mobile 2003 SE... But... I'm really pulling my hair out here...
I can get ActiveSync to work fine, with no problems, however there is one caveat.... In order to be able to sync to my PC -AND- browse the internet over wifi on my device I have to:
Start > Settings > Connections > Network Cards > Network Adapters, change "My network card connects to:" to "Work"

I also have to go into Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks and change both drop downs to the "Work" option.

If I do this I can both browse the internet and ActiveSync over wifi... The problem is, if I power down the device or soft reset it the "Connections" boxes change back to their default and I have to go through the whole ordeal every time I turn on the device... What gives? Why won't it stick... Is there a way to permanently modify this in the registry or what?

Please help... I'm at my wits end with this thing...

-Timothy

baker
01-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15912

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Okay... I'm not sure who at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to separate connections into "Work" and "Internet" categories under Windows Mobile 2003 SE... But... I'm really pulling my hair out here...
I can get ActiveSync to work fine, with no problems, however there is one caveat.... In order to be able to sync to my PC -AND- browse the internet over wifi on my device I have to:
Start > Settings > Connections > Network Cards > Network Adapters, change "My network card connects to:" to "Work"

I also have to go into Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Advanced > Select Networks and change both drop downs to the "Work" option.

If I do this I can both browse the internet and ActiveSync over wifi... The problem is, if I power down the device or soft reset it the "Connections" boxes change back to their default and I have to go through the whole ordeal every time I turn on the device... What gives? Why won't it stick... Is there a way to permanently modify this in the registry or what?

Please help... I'm at my wits end with this thing...

-Timothy

Acctually, the Internet/Work distinction came in ppc2k2. IMHO it's a very useful feature, albeit it really makes unsuspecting users' lives hard. For example, upon writing my article at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/gprs on PPC connectivity (feel free to check it if you aren't afraid of scarce Finno-Ugric languages),I had to spend several pages to describe why it was done on the first hand. It,IMHO, still has some advantages over the old model, which was in use before PPC2k2 .

It's not as bad, though. Just navigate to Connections/Advanced/Exceptions, and add the new exception: *.*

After that, all Work connections will also be able to browse Internet addresses that contain dots. (The main difference between internet and intranet addresses, upon what the Work/the Internet connection distinction works in ppck2k2+.)

timb
01-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Well, here's something interesting. I went into the registry and deleted "My ISP" from the "ConnMgr" key, and now everything works as it's supposed too, or so it seems... I would think there's an easier way to do this though.

-Tim