View Full Version : Are there compatibility problems with the hx4705?

JSY
01-02-2005, 03:27 AM
I am seriously considering retiring my 5555 for the 4705, but reading some of the publications made me think that there are a number of compatibility issues with the older software. Generally, have owners found any major issue in this area? Will programs not written for the higher resolution look tiny on the screen? Anyway, I am intrigued by this unit especially when it looks like it can be your own PMC as well. I am pleased that Pocket Informant comes with it since I use it like mad now on my 5555.

I think my old iPaq is going to become a permanent GPS navigator for my car.

Thanks!

OSUKid7
01-02-2005, 04:18 AM
All programs I have run fine on my hx4705. You shouldn't have any display problems unless you use a program like SE_VGA to enable "true" VGA mode (which is too tiny for most use, imo, but some people do use it).

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2005, 04:23 AM
I think the minor issues you may find are consistant across the VGA devices, and there are some that present themselves when taking advantage of the rotation capabilities of WM2003SE. I have a Dell X50v and agree that there really aren't any significant issues because of the VGA screens.

JSY
01-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm not expecting too many issues with the VGA screen but there are a few applications that I use to pass time (okay, a few games - lol) as well and I wonder if the graphics will be skewed. (Mostly puzzle games, of the Bejeweled realm.) It's good to hear users with different makes not seem to have really any issues. Thanks! I might go so far as to pick one up tomorrow. :)

Now, the other question I have - did either of you have any dead pixels when you first picked yours up? :)

OSUKid7
01-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Now, the other question I have - did either of you have any dead pixels when you first picked yours up? :)
Nope, screen was, and still is, perfect. :)

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Very few (if any) apps running OK under WM2003 have problems with SE. Prolly PQV 3.0 is the only one that should be mentioned. I've tested almost all the pic viewers/editors on my VGA Fujitsu-Siemens 720. All of them worked perfect, and most even with VGA-resolution image rendition, except for PQV.

Except for some, already-updated Today plug-ins and a few very old games, you won't have any compatibility problems. Get a VGA device, they're definitely worth their price.

Jereboam
01-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I am also having no problems with all my main apps. Some of them haven't been updated cosmetically for VGA but they all work. Those that have been updated to take advantage of High DPI (like Pocket Informant) are amazing...

eReader is the only one unsatisfying app at the moment really...just because the font smoothing craps out with VGA resolution and the text is fuzzy. But apparently an update is in the works.

And no dead pixels here either thank the screen gods.

Go for it. I have upgraded from a 5450 with no regrets. Mind you, coming from 128Mb to 64Mb of RAM will take a mental adjustment...you have to plan your installations quite carefully, ie try and use the File Store as much as possible.

J'bm

ctmagnus
01-02-2005, 09:09 PM
On the hx4700 lineup, where do cab installers install to by default?

Jereboam
01-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Default is Main Memory as usual, but using cabinstl will solve that if you want to install CABs to the File Store.

J'bm

ctmagnus
01-02-2005, 09:28 PM
I figured as much. :?

jrsfau
01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Nope, screen was, and still is, perfect. :)

Screen is perfect. In fact, i dont think it HAS pixels. the sreee, the detail, the colors are amazing. And is it fast. i think its the best Ipaq yet

OSUKid7
01-03-2005, 06:07 AM
Screen is perfect. In fact, i dont think it HAS pixels. the sreee, the detail, the colors are amazing. And is it fast. i think its the best Ipaq yet
Yep, only problem with mine is the earphone jack problem. :( Wish HP would have fixed that. :|

Jereboam
01-03-2005, 09:26 AM
What jack problem?

Have I missed something? I have no hissing etc that some people have found...

J'bm

OSUKid7
01-03-2005, 11:35 AM
What jack problem?

Yes, that's what I mean. Unfortunately I do have that problem. :(

Menneisyys
01-03-2005, 11:59 AM
What jack problem?

Yes, that's what I mean. Unfortunately I do have that problem. :(

Did you try using a less sensitive (meaning higher power is needed to achieve the same sound pressure, so the inherent hissing, whose level is independent of the actual volume, can't be heard (that much)) headset?

JSY
01-04-2005, 05:22 AM
Well, I did it and I picked up the hx4705 and I am so far pleased with it - but I really haven't used it too much yet, not having the time to install some of the software. I do like how it looks and I actually don't want to use it too much before getting a WriteShield and a case for it. (Ordered a Sena case.) It's nice and light, and it fits in the holster case that came with the 5555. Also, no dead pixels here either. I mentioned that earlier because I returned 2 5555s before getting a perfect screen. The store was nice enough to accept it back at the time. The screen is so beautiful. Thanks for the extra nudge that I was looking for to buy this. :)

ctmagnus
01-04-2005, 06:21 AM
This is a 4" display (60mmx80mm), right? I'm considering a 4700 atm and I have a bunch of screen protectors that I haven't used on my 5550 yet.

JSY
01-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Yes, so it's a little larger as the 555x has a 3.8" screen? I was ordering some WriteShields (the same ones I used for my old 5555) and I noticed that they recommended the clear ones as the ones with the anti-glare may distort the VGA resolution. I still have some old anti-glare ones for the 5555 but I thought of just buying them new. (That is, if you had WriteSHIELDS.)

The more I look at it, the more is looks like a smaller version of the Creative PMC.

ctmagnus
01-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Actually the 5550 has a 4"(ish) screen. 3.93" by my calculations. I have some WriteShields AG and some BoxWave Crystals so I should probaby use the WriteShields first, leaving the BoxWaves for the newer device when I get it. That may be several years from now, but I will get a new device eventually.

Jereboam
01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, I did it and I picked up the hx4705 and I am so far pleased with it - but I really haven't used it too much yet, not having the time to install some of the software. I do like how it looks and I actually don't want to use it too much before getting a WriteShield and a case for it. (Ordered a Sena case.) It's nice and light, and it fits in the holster case that came with the 5555. Also, no dead pixels here either. I mentioned that earlier because I returned 2 5555s before getting a perfect screen. The store was nice enough to accept it back at the time. The screen is so beautiful. Thanks for the extra nudge that I was looking for to buy this. :)

Good choice! Now head over to Brighthand, with no disrespect to PPCT the 4700-specific forum over there is great for tips and tweaks when you first get it. Just don't stay there, an unruly lot the Brighthanders. ;)

J'bm