View Full Version : Pocket-DVD Studio - audio level too low?

galt
01-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi,

I'm trying out the demo version of Pocket-DVD Studio, and while I love the ease of use, options, and quality of the video it creates, I'm having a hard time getting a file out of it with loud enough audio. Has anyone else had this problem?

Under the output settings I've tried increasing the audio volume to the max setting and have tried higher quality audio settings and both video codecs, but the files still seem to play back at the same volume both on my PC and on my Pocket PC (Dell Axim X30 High) and it just isn't loud enough. Is this functionality limited in the demo version or am I doing something wrong? I am hearing differences in the quality of the audio between different bitrates but the overall max audio level is still very low.

Any help would be appreciated, also any suggestions for fairly easy alternative ways to rip and encode my DVD's for playback on my PPC.

Thanks.

Galt

Jason Dunn
01-02-2005, 02:17 AM
Have you perhaps tried another DVD? Maybe the audio level on the DVD is just really low (I see that quite often).

galt
01-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Have you perhaps tried another DVD? Maybe the audio level on the DVD is just really low (I see that quite often).

I've tried a couple of DVD's, both were very low. I guess I should try a few more, but the fact that raising or lowering the volume in the output settings option from max to min seemed to have zero impact on the volume made me wonder if it's a feature limited by the demo, just broken, or I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks for the tip though, I'll see if other DVD's experience the same problem.

Galt

galt
01-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I tried a few more DVD's, including The Matrix, and with the audio level set to the second highest notch in the output settings screen and the audio cranked all the way up on my Dell Axim X30H I still have a pretty low volume file. I’m playing these back in Betaplayer btw, but I don't believe that this problem is something specific to the Betaplayer/Axim X30 combo as other files playback quite loud at max volume.

Can anyone with the full version of Pocket-DVD Studio confirm that there definitely is a noticeable difference in audio levels based on the selection in the output settings screen? When it's cranked to the high end is it actually a *loud* file?

Again, any other suggestions for products that make this process as easy as Pocket-DVD Studio? I'm really in love with the trial version of this software except for this one issue. :?

*Edit* I guess I should look into something like this to see if I can just adjust the volume in these files: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33266

*Edit #2* - And exactly 30 minutes later I've learned to use VirtualDub (from scratch) to take the video files, increase the audio level and maintain a small file size. Man, internet forums with search buttons just make this too easy! :wink:

Jason Dunn
01-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Glad you got it solved! :-)

Ripper014
01-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Love VirtualDub, but it is not for everyone... There are those that need the one button solution.

I was going to ask... (maybe a silly question)... did you check your audio settings on the computer itself. Perhaps your line-in volume is set extremely low...???

galt
01-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Love VirtualDub, but it is not for everyone... There are those that need the one button solution.

I was going to ask... (maybe a silly question)... did you check your audio settings on the computer itself. Perhaps your line-in volume is set extremely low...???

I'm not someone who needs a single button, but I'm probably not too far from it, especially with something like this. I'm in wayyy over my head though with AV manipulation, so for now I'm going to go with the simple solution as opposed to some of the other manual/multi-step approaches that probably yield better results.

I've checked the line-in setting on my PC, it was cranked to the max as well so I'm guessing that's not it either. I'll report back here after I purchase Pocket-DVD Studio either way (if it was a feature not enabled by the demo or if it turns out to be an issue with the software).

ipaq1940
01-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi,

I'm trying out the demo version of Pocket-DVD Studio, and while I love the ease of use, options, and quality of the video it creates, I'm having a hard time getting a file out of it with loud enough audio. Has anyone else had this problem?

Under the output settings I've tried increasing the audio volume to the max setting and have tried higher quality audio settings and both video codecs, but the files still seem to play back at the same volume both on my PC and on my Pocket PC (Dell Axim X30 High) and it just isn't loud enough. Is this functionality limited in the demo version or am I doing something wrong? I am hearing differences in the quality of the audio between different bitrates but the overall max audio level is still very low.

Any help would be appreciated, also any suggestions for fairly easy alternative ways to rip and encode my DVD's for playback on my PPC.

Thanks.

Galt

I have purchased this program, and I havent has a problem like this before. I usually keep the audio volume at medium, and everything is fine.

galt
01-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Well, I've now ripped/coverted several files using the purchased software, still have the same problem. Maybe it's something with my setup, but with VirtualDub it's easy enough to change the audio level so I'm cool with it.