View Full Version : Can't send emails using Outlook. Any pocket friendly webmail?

mamba
01-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I couldn't figure out how to send e-mails using Outlook with my Ipaq 4150. I've tried several ISPs but it seems there's some security issue with their smtps...

Anyway, I just need to be able to send files when I'm travelling, so I went looking for a webmail that is compatible with my browser (IE - Win Mobile 2003). But, even though I can read emails on some of them, my IE version can't open the attachment scripts they run.

So, does anyone know of a free webmail that is fully compatible? Or a way to configure Outlook to send emails?

Thanks in advance!

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 10:32 PM
No matter through what kind of Internet connection (except for public/wardrived Wi-Fi access points with unknown parameters) you are on the net, most likely your ISP will have an SMTP server dedicated for their users. Just enter this SMTP server address upon creating a pop3/IMAP account in Messaging.

I take it you only have configured Outlook-synch'ed email on your PDA because if you had set up a true in-the-field account (a POP3 or an IMAP one), then, you would have been confronted with the problem of entering the SMTP server at exactky the same screen where you supply the POP3/IMAP server address. Am I right?

EDIT: I've elaborated on the question more; here's some further stuff.

There're several choices.

1, SMTP authentication & using your home ISP's SMTP server with Inbox/Messaging

Pros: access from Inbox; no need to fuss around with browsers

Cons: Inbox encodes binary contents into MIME64 on the PDA, so it's not as efficient bandwidth-wise than the binary HTTP upload. It only means problem if your bandwidth is severely limited (e.g., GPRS) / expensive.

How-to: ask your ISP about your SMTP authentication method from outside networks. I understand you're going to travel a lot so you won't able to access your ISP's SMTP server from its own network (unless you use a nation-/Earth-wide ISP, that is).

Use this info upon setting up Messaging. Be warned: you can't use different usernames/passwords inside Inbox, so the POP3/IMAP username/password must match. If that's not the case, use WebIS Mail instead, it's far better at configuring SMTP authentication.

use HTTP upload. It may be faster, but AFAIK PIE doesn't support it as yet, only Netfront. (I'm not sure about this and can't test it right now because I'm over a very slow GPRS connection with only a PL720 and a Stowaway BT keyboard here - it'd be pretty painful to test it with my corporate HTTP server)

mamba
01-01-2005, 10:41 PM
I couldn't figure out how to send e-mails using Outlook with my Ipaq 4150. I've tried several ISPs but it seems there's some security issue with their smtps...

Anyway, I just need to be able to send files when I'm travelling, so I went looking for a webmail that is compatible with my browser (IE - Win Mobile 2003). But, even though I can read emails on some of them, my IE version can't open the attachment scripts they run.

So, does anyone know of a free webmail that is fully compatible? Or a way to configure Outlook to send emails?

Thanks in advance!

No matter through what kind of Internet connection (except for public/wardrived Wi-Fi access points with unknown parameters) you are on the net, most likely your ISP will have an SMTP server dedicated for their users. Just enter this SMTP server address upon creating a pop3/IMAP account in Messaging.

I take it you only have configured Outlook-synch'ed email on your PDA because if you had set up a true in-the-field account (a POP3 or an IMAP one), then, you would have been confronted with the problem of entering the SMTP server at exactky the same screen where you supply the POP3/IMAP server address. Am I right?

No, I actually did set an account up manually. And not one, but several, from different ISPs. :(

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 10:56 PM
No, I actually did set an account up manually. And not one, but several, from different ISPs. :(

Did you check in "outgoing e-mail server requires authentication" in Inbox/Messaging on the second Options page with all of these ISP accounts? Still no success?

(BTW, I've edited my first post a bit and added some new stuff while you were posting your answer.)

mamba
01-01-2005, 11:12 PM

Did you check in "outgoing e-mail server requires authentication" in Inbox/Messaging on the second Options page with all of these ISP accounts? Still no success?

(BTW, I've edited my first post a bit and added some new stuff while you were posting your answer.)

Thanks again for the help Menneisyys, but yes, I've tried every possible variation when configuring outlook.

Concerning the other post, I have a wireless router connected to my ISP at home and it's the same network of my e-mail domain name... and it doesn't work. Unfortunatelly, their support doesn't seem trained enough to help with this kind of issue.

It's funny, because Outlook works fine on a laptop connected to my network. The problem is only with the Pocket PC version.

Sven Johannsen
01-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Who's the ISP. Maybe someone here uses it and has figured out the trick to making it work, if it can.

I can use Hotmail from the web interface to send and recieve. I do get there from the mobile MSN site.

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 11:28 PM

Thanks again for the help Menneisyys, but yes, I've tried every possible variation when configuring outlook.

Concerning the other post, I have a wireless router connected to my ISP at home and it's the same network of my e-mail domain name... and it doesn't work. Unfortunatelly, their support doesn't seem trained enough to help with this kind of issue.

It's funny, because Outlook works fine on a laptop connected to my network. The problem is only with the Pocket PC version.

Also tried with WebIS Mail? I've been reported a lot of SMTP auth.problems with Inbox. With WebIS Mail, all those problems simply went away,

surur
01-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Doesn't gmail have pop access. It should be pocketpc compatible then, and Im sure Ive seen guides for getting it to work.

Surur

mamba
01-02-2005, 01:10 AM

Also tried with WebIS Mail? I've been reported a lot of SMTP auth.problems with Inbox. With WebIS Mail, all those problems simply went away,

Never heard about it. :oops: Looks good. I'll definitelly try it.

Doesn't gmail have pop access. It should be pocketpc compatible then, and Im sure Ive seen guides for getting it to work.

Surur

Sure, but the problem is not with my e-mail, but with Outlook/Inbox. My ISP at home is Terra (not very known in the US, I guess).

Also, if I remember correctly, Hotmail had problems with the attach file pop-up or something, like most webmails.

tbito
01-02-2005, 01:12 AM
webis mail beta (2.1) works well with gmail. i've only been using it for a few days but haven't seen any problems with it. go to webis forum, there you will be able to download the beta.
the webis mail 2.06 continuouly locked up with gmail.