View Full Version : can i disable the startup app "poutlook.lnk" if i'm using AF?

zilla31
01-01-2005, 06:23 PM
just looking through memmaid and wanted to have as few startup apps as possible 'starting up'. i guess i could just try it but not sure if i'd be able to tell right away what the effect is - and figured someone might already know!

thanks and happy new year!

zilla31
01-01-2005, 06:27 PM
and while we're at it - about about "usbreg.lnk"?

ps using a HP 4150.

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
just looking through memmaid and wanted to have as few startup apps as possible 'starting up'. i guess i could just try it but not sure if i'd be able to tell right away what the effect is - and figured someone might already know!

thanks and happy new year!

You can freely move it to somewhere else. It only starts poutlook.exe as a background task to look for mails in the background if (and only if) you asked for periodic mail checking in Inbox/Messaging's Options menu, upon creating/editing an individual mail account. If you don't want to download mail automativcally (I've done so too so that no CPU cycles/memory are lost), just remove the link - manual mail download will still work great.

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 09:12 PM
and while we're at it - about about "usbreg.lnk"?

ps using a HP 4150.

It's better not to touch it - it, according to http://csilo.com/default.aspx?page=55&offsetID=1467 and some other pages, e.g. http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4874 (the latter also discusses \Windows\Startup programs, so may be worth checking out), seems to be needed for the device to be recognized by ActiveSync. You can try temporarily moving it to somewhere else, but if , after a reset, your PC doesn't recognize your PPC any more, move it back.

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 09:32 PM
BTW, there is another place where WinCE has the list of the programs to be started at startup. It's really worth knowing because many programs don't install themselves into \Windows\Startup, so they're not that easy to unregister by hand to test the performance hit they cause / whether they're needed at all to be in the memory all the time.

For example, MultiIE, as with a lot of other plug-ins, don't need to eat CPU cycles all the time. Just move the link from \Windows\Startup to, e.g. \Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and only then start it when you really need multi-tabbed windows in PIE. (If you want to use it at all - it's a pretty bloated piece of code, as far as memory consumption is concerned. Some of its alternatives, for example, Spb Pocket Plus, may be far better in this respect (too). See e.g. my remarks at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33565&start=10 .)

So, the place in the Registry is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init. There're some esential apps you shouldn't touch, located at higher numbers, but there may also be some apps of the PDA manufacturer not needed at all. My PL720 has, for example, has FSC_PwdStart.exe, FSC_PwdCheck.exe etc, which may be removed. (Actually, these two programs are not resident as they terminate at once, but may also slow down the booting process.)

So, there're a lot of possibilities to fine-tune your PPC. And yes, don't forget to backup all your PDA first if you play with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init and the like :)

timcolling
01-02-2005, 10:51 AM
What about these files, which are in the startup Folder on my 5555?

PIMAgent.lnk
DM_k.lnk

Does anyone know what they're for, or whether I can safely remove them?

Thanks,
Tim

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
What about these files, which are in the startup Folder on my 5555?

PIMAgent.lnk
DM_k.lnk

Does anyone know what they're for, or whether I can safely remove them?

Thanks,
Tim

You can freeky remove DM_k if you don't use any sleeves - it's in charge of watching for new sleeve hardware. If you disable it, the iPAQ won't recognize the new sleeves, but, of course, you can always re-activate it by starting the link manually from somewhere else.

Actually, the resident program it starts even caused a lot of problems in the past on some iPAQ's (not on the 5550) because it ate far too many processor cycles.