View Full Version : Any good contacts repacement? And also memo type program?

HexiumVII
01-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm currently using Pocket Infromant as my PIM replacement after trying agenda and some others, but i find the contacts to be lacking. I almost like the standard one better but i'm looking for something for easier one hand finding of contacts as i have SX66 PPC phone. Somone i can control font size and remembers catagory arrangements. I don't use pics so i don't need anything like that.

I also loved the memo feature in palm. PPC has notes, but it doesn't seem to have catagories support in the PPC, only in Outlook. Storing in folders is also very confusing. Anyone know how to make catagories work maybe? I only need something for text, i rarely draw or do anything like that.

Any suggestions?

applejosh
01-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I use PI, and the contacts feature works well enough for me (but I'm not using a smart phone). I don't know if it will be helpful or even what you're looking at, but you may want to look into PocketBreeze and ContactBreeze (which is a plugin for PocketBreeze) over at www.sbsh.net. I don't know if it works on a smart phone, but you might look into it. It's essentially a today screen plugin.

As far as a memo type app, I use PhatNotes (www.phatware.com). Some people here rave about Tombo as well. (Tombo is freeware where PhatNotes is kind of an expensive app). Search for Tombo on google. (I think it's hosted at sourceforge, but I could be wrong.) Again, not sure about the feasibility on a smart phone. (Sorry, I might be shooting blanks here with my recommendations, but I'm not too wise in the ways of smart phones.)

Cheers!

HexiumVII
01-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried phatnotes but it doesn't seem to be what i'm looking for. The notes for Outlook is pretty stupid, it doesn't even have a scroll bar! My notes usually aren't that big, but common, are we still in the 1900s? Geez :p The best program for palm was wordsmith, it can do MS Word docs and took over the memo feature with something powerful. From what i'm gathering PPC has nothing even close to the word processors palm has in terms of speed and features.

Anyways for contacts i've found .mobile contacts. Its pretty good, nice fun interface with one hand features.
http://pocketpclouisville.com/images/MobileContacts.gif

Also anyone know what programs must be installed to RAM and cannot be installed to SD card? Same with ROM, what programs are safe in the ROM?

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Also anyone know what programs must be installed to RAM and cannot be installed to SD card?

Programs started at startup- e.g. today plug-ins.

Darius Wey
01-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Also anyone know what programs must be installed to RAM and cannot be installed to SD card? Same with ROM, what programs are safe in the ROM?

I'd keep your today plugins installed in RAM, since the SD card is usually initialised after you've turned on the device, so the today plugins would fail to operate correctly otherwise. You may also want to keep your PIM programs installed in RAM as well to help boost performance times.

HexiumVII
01-02-2005, 06:21 AM
How about the ROM, should i maybe install the PIM and today in there instead? ALso whats the difference between phatnotes and phatpad?

Darius Wey
01-02-2005, 06:30 AM
How about the ROM, should i maybe install the PIM and today in there instead? ALso whats the difference between phatnotes and phatpad?

I'd still keep it in RAM as it's still a little bit faster. Although, you can install other programs in there if you wish.

PhatPad (http://www.phatware.com/phatpad/index.html) is more of a scribble pad/notes program, whereas PhatNotes (http://www.phatware.com/phatnotes/hpcnotes3pro.html) is more of a major notes organiser sort of application. It's best to visit the site (using the links I've provided), and even perhaps downloading their trial versions to compare the two yourself. It's a lot easier to see the differences when you try it for yourself. :)

Lex
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I've heard about 'Textmaker'. http://pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16268
Claims to be "the desktop-class word processor for PPC". And it's $50 too. I've never paid $50 for PPC software. I came to PPC from Palm too and haven't found the built-in 'Notes' function too different, but I haven't cared much about organizing them. Mainly use Notes as a phone call log.

Ripper014
01-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Textmaker is a wonderful program... is what Pocket Word should have been... The last two years on Nov 11... they have sold it for $11.11, this year they also discounted Planmaker their Pocket Excel counterpart.

I love PhatPad... never really had a chance to look at it... and did not think it would be something I would use. However... after spending more time with it... I find it a handy application that I now have stuck on my Start Menu... a nice scratchpad for those quick notes...

I like PhatNotes as well... but would like it a lot more if it intergrated with Agenda Fusion...