View Full Version : Moving data to a new pocket PC

sheik
12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
This is an elementary question, but I've never had to do it before - the last time I upgraded my Pocket PC it was because I had lost all my data :(.

So, I have an Ipaq 2210, and I want to move my contacts, tasks and appointments to a new Pocket Loox.
I received a copy of Outlook with the Loox, but don't want to have to install and sync to that unless I need to. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that an Outlook sync will only transfer X number of months of appointments and I want to shift over a year of data.

The Ipaq has a copy of Sprite Backup, but the Loox doesn't. I would consider buying Sprite backup but I'm not sure if it would be advisable to backup and restore databases across two different devices (PPC2003 and PPC2003SE)?

I *really* wish Pocket Informant had an "export personal databases" option, but I don't think that ever worked properly and it seems to be missing from the 5.x series.

So, how does everybody else migrate to a new device?

Thanks,

/\dam

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 02:33 PM
There is a thread with similar contents at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35941 ; the difference is that it revolves around cross-ROM version restoration, which is pretty similar to this case (when even the op. system is different).

You could

1, give a try to some kind of advanced syncher apps, for example, IntelliSync, http://www.intellisync.com/go/products/client-synchronization/intellisync-handheld-edition/intellisync-trial/index.cfm

2, try the dbExplorer database export/import I've mentioned in the linked thread. AFAIK the PIM DB structure hasn't changed between WM2003 and WM2003SE, so it may work.

surur
12-31-2004, 02:48 PM
This is quite a confusing question. Your contacts, appointments etc are usually stored on your desktop, unless you dont sync with your desktop regularly.

If you dont, you will need to do more esoteric things, such as back up and restore across devices etc.

If you DO sync with your desktop regularly, your data is perfectly safe there, and when you plug your Loox in it will just sync as usual, and copy over all your information.

The amount of data activesync copies to your device is changeable, under ActiveSync>tools>options>calender>settings.

Surur

sheik
12-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Maybe I am unusual, but I just don't have any need to sync to my desktop. I don't use Outlook on it and don't want to.
I treat my PDA as a device unto itself and it only gets docked with a computer when I need to install an application.

Having said that, migrating to new hardware must be a common occurrence, so if most people use ActiveSync to do it then I suppose I could install Outlook temporarily to transfer the data...

Thanks,

/\dam

surur
12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Your approach is unusual, but it seems not that uncommon.

Some software provides cabs, but many have only windows installers. How do you manage with these?

Im sure installing activesync is the simplist way to do what you need to do, and I also see it as the best way to continuously back up my contacts etc, as our pocketpc's are quite fragile beasts, and one can lose data in some many ways, from random hard resets, flat batteries up to completely lost devices int he back of taxi's. In the end the data is more valuable that the device!

Surur

sheik
12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
2, try the dbExplorer database export/import I've mentioned in the linked thread. AFAIK the PIM DB structure hasn't changed between WM2003 and WM2003SE, so it may work.

Many thanks for this advice.
I've just tried dbExplorer for my Contacts, Appointments and Tasks DBs and a quick check with Pocket Informant shows my data :).

I have lost all my categories though, I'm not sure which DB these are stored in. I can re-enter these if necessary though.

Thanks again,

/\dam

sheik
01-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Ack, I re-entered my categories (maybe about 15 of them) but all my appointments, contacts and tasks now have the wrong categories assigned to them :(. This must be because the internal keys of my original categories were different to the newly entered ones.
Luckily, Pocket Informant allows me to filter by category and then reassign categories for multiple items - it was still a pain though.

Next time I might go through Outlook after all...

/\