View Full Version : Internal speaker - which one is best for music?

am1001
12-31-2004, 02:21 AM
Hi.

I've read several reviews on PPC and I'm particularily interested in the sound quality of the internal speaker. I've a slight problem with my ears and wearing headphones causes problems when listening to music.

How would you rate the following ppcs based on the sound quality from the internal speaker.

Fugitsu Loox 720
Dell 50V
Hp 3715
Asus 730

Going by the reviews the Fugitsu has a loud and decent internal speaker - anyone care to comment?

surur
12-31-2004, 09:23 AM
In fact the Loox 720 has two speakers. A smaller one at the top of a unit and a large one at the base. I just tried it at maximum volume playing some music, and there was no distortion, and it was quite loud. Its loud enough to use for satellite navigation voice prompts while driving without needing amplification.

Surur

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah, the PL720 speaker is one of the better ones - much louder than that of my iPAQ 2210. I think it may be the quite similar to the 36xx volume / frequency response-wise (the iPAQ 36xx/37xx series had a decent, pretty loud speaker, unlike, for example, the Toshi e740 or some later iPAQ's, particularly the 2210/5450/5550), or even better.

I've also compared it to the hx4700 speaker playing exactly the same (music) MP3. The hx4700 produced much more distortion at the same (high) volume level.

am1001
12-31-2004, 02:52 PM
thanks for the replies

my Hp 1910 sounds very 'tinny' when listened at say 2 feet distance.

Do the latest ppcs have a more full sound when listened to the internal speaker? Or do they still have the very limited frequency response - my HP 1910 sounded very trebely and no base at all.

I'm definately moving towards the Fujitsu - I'd like a reply from a Dell user on the X50V before I finally plump for my next PPc.

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Do the latest ppcs have a more full sound when listened to the internal speaker? Or do they still have the very limited frequency response - my HP 1910 sounded very trebely and no base at all.

Don't expect much - tiny speakers like these won't deliver much bass. It's the law of physics, not the law of electronics, that make it almost impossible to produce better-sounding PDA's.

I've just tested my PL720 again; yes, it IS loud. May be even louder than the 36xx. I could turn up the volume to max with almost all the mp3's without perceivable distortion, at the default tone settings (that is, I haven't touched the bass level setting in Settings.)

famousdavis
01-03-2005, 01:43 AM
I have the X50v and am very pleased with the internal speaker. I use it when my wife and I go to bed early :devilboy: . There is no bass from the speaker, though. For that, though, you only need to connect your PPC to a line-feed on a boombox. I just bought a terrific Sony boombox for under $100 that can connect to my PPC. Now, all my desktop MP3s are available to me, so I can always set the right mood. :mrgreen:

Anthony3000
01-04-2005, 01:03 AM
do NOT get a toshiba e830 for this. Terrible internal speaker, amazing sound quality through headphones

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 09:30 AM
do NOT get a toshiba e830 for this. Terrible internal speaker, amazing sound quality through headphones

Yeah, Toshibas have always had pretty lame speakers - remember the buzzer in the e740? ;)