View Full Version : Getting aspect ratio's right on conversion of video...

jtallon
12-31-2004, 01:35 AM
I purchased DVD to PPC, and it does ok, but I'm trying to create higher quality video for my Portable Media Center...

So I'm using DVD Shrink, and then Windows Media Encoder 9.

I can convert 4:3 stuff ok, because I don't crop the input, and I just size the output at 320x240.

My *problem* is that whenever I start messing with other aspect ratio's, I can find the correct combination of cropping, resizing, and output resolutions so that it displays properly...

Can anybody help complete the following ?

Source Crop Info Resize Info Output Resolution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4:3 None None None
16:9 ? ? ?
16:9 Anamorphic ? ? ?
2.05:1 ? ? ?
2:05:1 Anamorphic ? ? ?

Thank you - I'm sure this info will be very useful to others too !

Menneisyys
01-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I purchased DVD to PPC, and it does ok, but I'm trying to create higher quality video for my Portable Media Center...

I can convert 4:3 stuff ok, because I don't crop the input, and I just size the output at 320x240.

My *problem* is that whenever I start messing with other aspect ratio's, I can find the correct combination of cropping, resizing, and output resolutions so that it displays properly...

You could also give a try to DivX/XviD + BetaPlayer with either VirtualDub or Dr. DivX. (Full-screen VGA, much higher achievable bit rate than with PWMP and other goodies.) THey dont have problems like this and have all excellent support and a lot of other info.

jtallon
01-04-2005, 03:15 PM

You could also give a try to DivX/XviD + BetaPlayer with either VirtualDub or Dr. DivX. (Full-screen VGA, much higher achievable bit rate than with PWMP and other goodies.) THey dont have problems like this and have all excellent support and a lot of other info.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with WMA because this is for a portable media center, not a true pocket PC. Thanks for the suggestion though !