View Full Version : When will the next generation of PPC be released?

am1001
12-30-2004, 11:52 PM
I am considering getting one of the new VGA PPCs - namely either First Loox 720, Dell 50V or Asus 730w. I definately want one to have a VGA screen. My current PPC is an oldie Hp 1910.

The trouble is: all seem to be missing one or more of my requirements for me to part with my money. I can't afford more than one ppc in a year.

So some questions if you don't mind:

1. When will the next operating system be released - windows mobile 2005
2. Is it true Windows mobile 2005 will support direct 3d for games?
3. Would the Dell 50v chip (2700g) be compatible with the direct 3d for windows mobile 2005.
4. When will the manufactuers be releasing their new PPCs - namely Fujitsu, HP, Asus and Dell. I think all the VGAs are pretty recent. Do you think they will release new VGA models in the next 6 months?

I don't mind waiting for 6 months if I can get a PPC which has: wifi, 128meg ram, camera, direct 3d hardware, vga screen and an 4 hours+ battery life.

If I had to pick a PPC now it would be the Fugitsu 720 but the poor camera is disappointing and it has no real 3d capabilities.

Kowalski
12-31-2004, 12:26 AM
in 6 mounts time, i dont think that you could find a device with direct 3d hardware. in my opinion this will take more than a year, and another half year for companies to make software compatible with hardware
so if i would grab the best ppc which fits my needs, which would possbily be asus a730w

Ripper014
12-31-2004, 01:21 AM
I agree... that I would not expect to much in the way of new tech being released before September of next year... and even at that time there will be bugs to be sorted out... so a realistic date for a functioning wm2005 unit.. would not be until late 2005 or early 2006... (my personal opinion).

As for current devices... I like the Asus a730W but it has a few issues... I would much rather have the Loox 720... it seems to be a more well rounded device... at only 1100mah the Asus has some serious battery issues... unless you are a relatively light user...

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 03:25 AM
1. When will the next operating system be released - windows mobile 2005

People are speculating sometime in 2005. As to when in 2005, that's another story. WM2005 is still very much a work in progress.

2. Is it true Windows mobile 2005 will support direct 3d for games?

Windows CE 5.0 supposedly will provide D3DM support, so assuming that WM2005 will be built upon what Windows CE 5.0 has to offer, then I'd imagine that you would expect Direct 3D support, but the games utilising this architecture need to be released first. ;)

3. Would the Dell 50v chip (2700g) be compatible with the direct 3d for windows mobile 2005.

I'd imagine so, but it depends on what will and won't be supported in D3DM. Also, we don't know if a WM2005 ROM Upgrade will be provided for the X50v.

4. When will the manufactuers be releasing their new PPCs - namely Fujitsu, HP, Asus and Dell. I think all the VGAs are pretty recent. Do you think they will release new VGA models in the next 6 months?

I don't think you can expect a whole new wave of devices to come during the WM2003SE phase. I'm certainly expecting the next batch to arrive when WM2005 becomes a working product. So there are no guarantees as to it coming in the next six months. I wouldn't be holding my breath though. Personally, I'm definitely expecting it in the second half of next year, if not later.