View Full Version : which one would you chose?

okanrua
12-30-2004, 04:18 PM
dell x50
dell x30
ipaq 4705

for a replacement of ipaq 2210.

or do you have any other advice.

surur
12-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Depends on your requirements, priorities and intended use.

Being in europe, you may also want to consider the Loox 720 and the Asus.

I have a FSC Loox 720, because it has the following advantages:

1) 128Mb ram (vs 64 in ALL the other models listed)
2) Small and thin (the ipaq is large, and the dell x50 is slightly thicker)
3) Has a CF slot (the dell x30 does not)
4) Consumer infrared (the HP has not, the Dell's is dubious)
5) USB host, so its easy to connect to a thumb drive or external USB hard drive in the field.
6) Normal buttons (the HP has a weird trackpad, which many people hate)
7) Camera (but of very poor quality :( ) but still better than none (unless you are restricted in some way)
8 ) Cheaper than the HP.
9) Good battery life with a large battery (the dell has a very small battery for a dual wireless device), The HP has a marginally larger battery, but then its physically a lot larger too.
10) Im sure there is more, but I'll leave those for later :)

Surur

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Depends on your requirements, priorities and intended use.

Being in europe, you may also want to consider the Loox 720 and the Asus.

I have a FSC Loox 720, because it has the following advantages:

1) 128Mb ram (vs 64 in ALL the other models listed)
2) Small and thin (the ipaq is large, and the dell x50 is slightly thicker)
3) Has a CF slot (the dell x30 does not)
4) Consumer infrared (the HP has not, the Dell's is dubious)
5) USB host, so its easy to connect to a thumb drive or external USB hard drive in the field.
6) Normal buttons (the HP has a weird trackpad, which many people hate)
7) Camera (but of very poor quality :( ) but still better than none (unless you are restricted in some way)
8 ) Cheaper than the HP.
9) Good battery life with a large battery (the dell has a very small battery for a dual wireless device), The HP has a marginally larger battery, but then its physically a lot larger too.
10) Im sure there is more, but I'll leave those for later :)

Surur

it also has a jog dial - a big advantage over the 4700. Get the PL720, in Europe it has by far the best price/performance ratio.

Kowalski
12-31-2004, 12:23 AM
this decission highly depends on your needs, but if i were you i would consider asus a730 as an alternative to the models you specified. the only disadvantage of asus over others is that asus doesnt have built in wifi
yesterday i had a chance to see a730 and i said wow! in the pictures the machine seems bigger but the device itself is very light and small, if you dont mind the tickness, the form factor is excellent

jickbahtech
12-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Not to throw a wrench in, but You could also look at at the hx2700 if you dont need VGA.
Its roughly the same size as your h2200, and has 128MB of RAM and ROM (Something like 185MB User accessible?).

I only bring it up cuz you listed the X30 as a possibility...

Ripper014
12-31-2004, 01:16 AM
The Asus comes in two flavours... the a730... which as mentioned does not come with Wifi... it also comes with only 64mb of ram... the a730W comes with wifi and 128mb of ram... the downside of the Asus is that it comes with the small battery.... it is only 1100mah... it can be concern depending on how you use your device.

The Loox 720 has all the benefits of the Asus and more... including a much larger battery... and somehow it manages to weigh less... Don't ask... because I have no idea how they did it either... Oh they do have the smallest screen... at 3.6 inches... but that is only 0.1inches smaller than most of the devices available...

Overall the best device out there iIMHO is the Loox 720... in saying all of that I ended up buying a Toshiba e830 because I felt it was the best value for the money... in Canada I was able to get one for $499can... (Boxing Week Sale....) :)

I am also moving from a Hp2200 to a new device... and I actually like the larger unit... my Toshiba is actually thinner than my Hp2200... I realize now that I miss the added real estate... and larger screen...

Fishie
12-31-2004, 01:36 AM
If you dont mind the size the Sigmarion3 is hard to beat :mrgreen:

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 09:41 AM
The Loox 720 has all the benefits of the Asus and more... including a much larger battery... and somehow it manages to weigh less... Don't ask... because I have no idea how they did it either...

Actually, all the three devices (the two Asus's and the PL720) weigh the same, 170g.

Ripper014
12-31-2004, 06:19 PM
Oops I stand corrected... what I meant to say was that the Loox 720 weighs the same and still managed to include a significantly larger battery.