View Full Version : What's the best PDA with WiFi? A730, Loox 720 or HX4700?

bjornkeizers
12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Hello all,

Well, it's time for another upgrade. After 15 months of happiness with my 1915, it's time to upgrade to something nicer.

The most important feature on my new PDA is WiFi. I've had it on my laptop for a year now, and I've had it on my Clie. I want the power of a PPC with the flexibility of WiFi. I also want a VGA screen. I don't really care what it costs, I have about 700 euro to spend.

I've been looking at several PDA's. The ones I'm considering at the moment are the Asus A730, the Loox 720. All top-of-the-line models.

I'm mostly concerned about things like compatibility problems, dropped connections, poor signal quality, etc. I want to be able to surf the 'net, listen to Shoutcast streams and download avantgo and things like that.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Menneisyys
12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Hello all,

Well, it's time for another upgrade. After 15 months of happiness with my 1915, it's time to upgrade to something nicer.

The most important feature on my new PDA is WiFi. I've had it on my laptop for a year now, and I've had it on my Clie. I want the power of a PPC with the flexibility of WiFi. I also want a VGA screen. I don't really care what it costs, I have about 700 euro to spend.

I've been looking at several PDA's. The ones I'm considering at the moment are the Asus A730, the Loox 720. All top-of-the-line models.

I'm mostly concerned about things like compatibility problems, dropped connections, poor signal quality, etc. I want to be able to surf the 'net, listen to Shoutcast streams and download avantgo and things like that.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

You're from .NL; therefore (low price / good, fast, local repair & customer service / supporting the European economy), IMHO, you should first check out the PL720.

I myself have one and am VERY happy with it. However, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll also like it. I recommend the pages http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm for tech data and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630 for screen quality evaluation.

Robrecht
12-29-2004, 11:48 PM
I've been looking at several PDA's. The ones I'm considering at the moment are the Asus A730, the Loox 720. All top-of-the-line models. ...
Any comments would be very much appreciated.While some might not consider the Dell Axim x50v to be top-of-the-line because of its amount of RAM, its very nice. Depending on your timeframe, consider waiting for a newer model with more RAM. It's about as small as the ASUS, though it doesn't have a camera or USB hosting. It does have a newer version of BT, which might work better with WiFi. Price is very reasonable. Personally, I did not consider the HP because of its size and my dislike of touchpads.

Good luck!

bjornkeizers
12-30-2004, 12:22 AM
IMHO, you should first check out the PL720.

The loox is my favorite. :-) It looks better then the other two, it has great specs, and it's cheaper then the 4700.

Thanks for the link to firstloox - just what I needed!

surur
12-30-2004, 12:27 AM
I love my Loox, but just a warning, it does not have the best wifi of the lot (reception wise and ability to hold on to a weak connection).

I cant dig up the article now, and maybe people can chip in with their own experiences. I believe the HP was also weak, but possibly the Dell was ok.

Surur

PS:

Great deal on the Loox

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/FJS-FPLX720.htm?affiliateid=119

Loox for £299!

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 07:40 AM
It does have a newer version of BT, which might work better with WiFi.

Actually, much as A730w's BT is only 1.1, they made it work together with the built-in Wi-Fi unit. This was one of the reasns the unit hit the shelves so late.

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 07:42 AM
PS:

Great deal on the Loox

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/FJS-FPLX720.htm?affiliateid=119

Loox for £299!

Copied from the 'tech data' section of the linked page:

Operating system : Palm
Memory (MB) : 64

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
I love my Loox, but just a warning, it does not have the best wifi of the lot (reception wise and ability to hold on to a weak connection).

I cant dig up the article now, and maybe people can chip in with their own experiences. I believe the HP was also weak, but possibly the Dell was ok.

Actually, it isn't bad at all. About the same league as the ASUS CF Wi-Fi card. Seemed to be a bit more selective than hx4700. Certainly much better than e.g. the Toshiba e740 or the SanDisk SD Wi-Fi card.

I haven't compared it to the x50v in person, though, so I can't comment it on as yet.

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 07:46 AM
While some might not consider the Dell Axim x50v to be top-of-the-line because of its amount of RAM, its very nice. Depending on your timeframe, consider waiting for a newer model with more RAM.

... if it comes at all in the near future (I seriously doubt it).

juni
12-30-2004, 08:42 AM
I've had no problems with WiFi on my hx4700. Picks up the connection and keeps it going. If I turn off the device with WiFi on it will connect automatically when turned back on.

Robrecht
12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
It does have a newer version of BT, which might work better with WiFi.

Actually, much as A730w's BT is only 1.1, they made it work together with the built-in Wi-Fi unit. This was one of the reasns the unit hit the shelves so late.Good to know, thanks. If it hadn't been for the delay, I would have bought the ASUS.

So you can use a BT keyboard while connected via WiFi? How about with a BT connection to the net?

Another plus for the DELL, perhaps, is the ability to charge a 2nd battery in the cradle--that too can be important for heavy WiFi use.

bjornkeizers
12-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Surur,

I don't think weak reception will be that big of a deal.. I have an excellent router and I get great reception everywhere, even with my Clie. That's my primary use. At school, we have about a million access points, so I doubt I'll have to worry about weak signals there. I don't often travel outside of WiFi range. Of course, I could always hook up another access point if it is a problem :D

So you can use a BT keyboard while connected via WiFi? How about with a BT connection to the net?

Awesome. That's one of the things that bothered me about my Clie - you can have BT or WIFI, but not both. If I get the PPC, then I can listen to Shoutcast streams over WiFi, with the audio going over a BT headset. How geeky can you get? :D

Another plus for the DELL, perhaps, is the ability to charge a 2nd battery in the cradle--that too can be important for heavy WiFi use.

IIRC, the loox cradle can do that as well. I remember reading something about it in a review...

How long can you go betweeen charges on these three with WiFi on? I get a full day of surfing out of my Clie, with backlight on half and PowerSave on the WiFi on.

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:05 PM

Also with the PL720.

(BTW, after the 2210 introducing this, I think ALL PDA cradles should have a slot for charging a second battery. I just can't understand why Asus has left it out from theirs.)

Robrecht
12-30-2004, 09:53 PM
How long can you go betweeen charges on these three with WiFi on? I get a full day of surfing out of my Clie, with backlight on half and PowerSave on the WiFi on.Not sure, but I definitely like having a 2nd battery charged & ready. I knew I'd want a 2nd battery with either the ASUS or the DELL since both have 1100 mAh batteries. Actually didn't really look too much at the Loox 'cause I'm in the States