View Full Version : Making your own pda accessories

mpda
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Have you ever made your own pda case/other accessories? I am currently working on a case for my pda.

frankenbike
12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Sort of. I made an open faced case out of the slip case that came with my Axim so I can access the controls while on my motorcycle. All of the commercially available ones seem to have a flap that would just be an annoyance.

wanderer
12-30-2004, 06:42 PM
I thought it was just me that was too tight to buy cases.
I've made a few. One for my Mitac Mio with the GPS on the rear is from a kids Binocular case. The inside is cushioned with a type of compresses foam. Its great because it will go on my belt.

Another is for my Archos Gmini 400. Again I use the foam, and this time an old case from a mobile phone. Fits perfect and you can watch videos through the clear case front. Again it clips on the belt for transport.

I am sure that others could make their own cases. No of mine use any thing but foam and double sided tape for sticking the foam together.

JustinGTP
12-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I have never tried really! I have just bought some cases because I didn't want to risk my PDA :)

Does anyone have any pictures they could post? Some of those cases sound innovative!

-Justin.

mpda
12-30-2004, 10:23 PM
http://img30.exs.cx/img30/901/case3tn.th.jpg (http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30&image=case3tn.jpg)

(Click the image to enlarge)

This is the beginning of a pda case that has an informal, notepad feel. It is made of flexible plastic (to protect the pda if I dropped it) covered with lined paper (the artistic side). Now all ive got to do is put it all together, throw splashes of ink onto it (artistic side again) and then line the inside with soft fabric to protect the pda. What do you think?

frankenbike
01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I am sure that others could make their own cases. No of mine use any thing but foam and double sided tape for sticking the foam together.

This gives me a good idea. I could make a case out of black duct tape. I could wrap my Axim in kitchen plastic cling wrap, carefully wrap it with the duct tape, then make cutouts for the screen, connectors and controls. I'd have a nice, tight fitting case ;)

surur
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM

This gives me a good idea. I could make a case out of black duct tape. I could wrap my Axim in kitchen plastic cling wrap, carefully wrap it with the duct tape, then make cutouts for the screen, connectors and controls. I'd have a nice, tight fitting case ;)

Frankenbike, I'm beginning to see where your nick comes from. What does your bike look like?

Surur

frankenbike
01-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Frankenbike, I'm beginning to see where your nick comes from. What does your bike look like?

Surur

To an ordinary observer, it looks almost like a normal Harley. Except it has parts from earlier year Harleys grafted on, weirdly altered controls, Japanese sportbike parts, the horn sounds like a large American car, a bottle holder from a mountain bike, sometimes a water circulation pump for a jacket cooling system, 2 inch incredibly bright spotlights, temperature controls for electric clothing and other bits and pieces of customization and electronics that I make in the garage machine shop that tend toward the utilitarian rather than appearance (as is the normal custom for Harley owners). It's also a non-touring model with a lot of detachable touring gear.

Eventually I'll add some sort of landscape PDA holder for my Axim, after I finally settle on a Bluetooth GPS and which software I'll use. The Axim will eventually be replaced by a phone capable PDA with wifi and BT that can pull down doppler radar and traffic info (hopefully by that time, integrating radar, maps and routing).

(My wife refers to me as "The Mad Scientist")

ipaq1940
01-06-2005, 05:32 AM
foebea did this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/foebea/phones.jpg
I think..

Its a little stand for your PDA