View Full Version : Looking for Freeware or Shareware Web Page/Site builder

Paula
12-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Hello,
I have been going crazy looking for a web page/site building software that is either freeware or shareware. I have come up with Zip. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darius Wey
12-29-2004, 05:10 AM
What are you actually after? Are you after webpage software that you can install on your computer (e.g. a bit like Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia Dreamweaver), or are you after a service where you can automatically generate a website using set templates (e.g. Angelfire, Geocities, Blogger, etc.)?

Paula
12-29-2004, 05:34 AM
I am looking for the software (ie Frontpage, Dreamwaever). I already have space from my ISP.

gregmills
12-29-2004, 05:51 AM
This one is pretty good. It's not WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver for Frontpage. If you're familiar with HTML you should feel right at home in this program.

lgtEditor Version 1.22 (http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html)

It'll let you set up a default page template and has shortcuts for things like tables and lists.

Edit: I should have checked the forum and I would have known this was "off-topic." My recommendation was for a program that runs on your PPC. Not an ideal environment but it can be done.

Darius Wey
12-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Here are links to the trial versions.

Microsoft Frontpage: Link (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010858021033.aspx)

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004: Link (http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/)

Kati Compton
12-29-2004, 06:04 AM
How complex of a site are you trying to build?

bigkingfun
12-29-2004, 06:16 AM
I've never used it, but I think the Mozilla suite (not Firefox - the full suite) has an HTML editor called Composer.

You could also take a look at 1st Page 2000 (http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml). It is also freeware.

Paula
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Kati, I won't be building a complex site. A few pages with information, a simple solid background with a few pictures as well.

I remember there used to be a site that would let you build titles (3D as well) and give you some great looking headings. Does anyone know of a site similar to this?

As times goes on, if I plan to keep the site up I will invest in photoshop as well as Dreamweaver. But this is my first personal site and I'm not sure if I will keep it up.

Darius Wey
12-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Based on what your needs are, it seems that something like Blogger (http://www.blogger.com/) with Hello (http://www.hello.com/) would be best suited for your needs. Have you considered those?

Paula
12-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Darius,
The website will not be used as a blog, but thanks for the suggestion.
Although I suppose I could sign up for a free site create the web page then copy the code and upload to my ISP. Hmmmmm I know just enough HTML to be dangerous. :lol:

Darius Wey
12-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Darius,
The website will not be used as a blog, but thanks for the suggestion.

The beauty of those Blogger sites is that you don't have to create a blog. I can point you to about a thousand sites out there that have transformed it into a work-of-art that it bears no resemblance to a blog whatsoever. ;)

Paula
12-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Darius,
If you don't mind please PM me with a few sites that I can look at.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Darius,
If you don't mind please PM me with a few sites that I can look at.

Sure. ;)

Paula
01-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Everyone,
Thank you for all your help geting me started with my site.

Darius,
Thank you for everything, especially for the links and the answers to all my questions.

Now I'm off to do the design and content research. :)

KimVette
01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
This is likely not what you are looking for but Eclipse and Quanta Plus are both quite good and very powerful. Eclipse requires a JVM and plugins for web development, and the WYSIWYG component (VPL in Quanta nomanclature) won't be truly usable until KDE 3.4 is released. The setup process for each is complicated (especially if you're running Windows and not *nix) but the code they produce is much cleaner than that of most graphical web editors.

If the site is anything more than a personal page and search engine optimization is of ANY concern, I strongly recommend going through the trouble of learning HTML since clean HTML is very key when it comes to placing high in search engines. If you intend to use a Windows-based editor and SEO is of any concern, avoid at ALL costs Frontpage, M$ Publisher, and Microsoft Word because the HTML they produce is extremely sloppy and there is a LOT of overhead - think of Microsft-produced web editors as anti-SEO technology. Also, remove any unnecessary META tags that those editors add (extraneous META tags don't help SEO - they only hinder it) and make sure the proper DOCTYPE is specified.

HTML is very easy to learn and is well worth the time to master.

ctmagnus
01-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Also, remove any unnecessary META tags that those editors add (extraneous META tags don't help SEO - they only hinder it) and make sure the proper DOCTYPE is specified.

HTML is very easy to learn and is well worth the time to master.

I concur. In fact, HTML is the only language I've been able to learn.

If you intend to use a Windows-based editor and SEO is of any concern, avoid at ALL costs Frontpage, M$ Publisher, and Microsoft Word because the HTML they produce is extremely sloppy and there is a LOT of overhead - think of Microsft-produced web editors as anti-SEO technology.

I don't concur so much on this part. FrontPage 2000 and newer produce rather clean code imo. I still edit it by hand afterwards, but there is so much less garbage to clean up.

Darius Wey
01-03-2005, 04:33 AM
I concur. In fact, HTML is the only language I've been able to learn.

And English? :lol:

ctmagnus
01-03-2005, 05:12 AM
<non-english language>¿Qué?</non-english language>

;)

btw - I believe you missed part of that quote.

Darius Wey
01-03-2005, 05:26 AM
btw - I believe you missed part of that quote.

:bangin: Dang... Fixed. ;)