View Full Version : Write Protected SD Card

travcore
12-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Help!! Apparently I messed up with a SD memory card and I hope someone can help. Here is what I did:
The SD card in my digital camera (hp 812) filled up during an event so out of desperation I removed the SD card from my pocket pc and used it in the camera to get me through the event. It worked fine when I loaded it back into my pocket pc and I was able to view the pics but the rest of my data that was on the card disappeared. When I viewed the contents of the card in file explorer it showed a series of unknown file folders that make no sense along with one folder that had the pictures in it. I removed the SD card from the PPC and put it in a card reader and all of my data showed up however the names had been altered so the names did not exceed 8 characters. Also, all of those unknown folders did NOT appear. When I try to delete any file from the card I get a message that says I cannot delete because the disk is write protected and that I must remove the write protection to be able to delete. I confirmed that the lever on the outside of the card is in the unlocked position. My PPC is running PPC2003 SE and it has the Windows Media 10 player.
Any suggestions on how to get the PPC to see the data on the SD card? Also, how can the write protection on the card be removed so I can delete files? What did I do wrongggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thx!!

V-iPAQ
12-28-2004, 12:06 AM
my digicam doesn't do that... i'd get it fixed :? :?

Gareth Lock
12-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Both my digital cameras (S2Pro and Coolpix 950) need to have a root folder structure for their images. If it does not exist, then they format the card with a new folder structure to match their requirements-I always create the structure if I am swapping between PPC and digital camera.

The only thing I can think of the digital camera formatted your sd card with its file structure and deleted (although not completely) the old files. Try some file recovery software which is available for download after a quick google.

Hope that helps

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Darius Wey
12-28-2004, 03:02 AM
The only thing I can think of the digital camera formatted your sd card with its file structure and deleted (although not completely) the old files. Try some file recovery software which is available for download after a quick google.

Here's (http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/) a popular program - although I do warn that recovering files from flash memory is never as easy as extracting data from hard disks, but there's no harm done in trying. ;)

Mr_Blonde
12-29-2004, 10:21 AM
I get that same error message when popping in my SD card from my Treo 600 to my HP. WMP 10 pops up and says

"cannot add files to the library because the disk is write protected" which is baloney since I know it's not and that I must remove the write protection to be able to add.