View Full Version : WM2003 Wireless Zero Configuration Problems

brianchris
12-27-2004, 08:18 PM
When Windows XP was released, one of the many wow factors was the "Wireless Zero Configuration" (or WZC) feature for Wireless LAN's....it worked great! Therefore when we learned one of the features of the upcoming WM2003 Pocket PC OS was the same "WZC," I, among others, was excited.

In reality though, the WM2003 implementation of WZC is far from perfect. What, specifically, are my problems with it?

-Settings for a specific WLAN are only organized and identified by the WLAN's SSID instead of an arbitary name. The problem with that is its recomeneded to name SSID's something generic (such as "wireless") that doesn't hint at the location or owner of the WLAN. So, not only do you not know at a glance what settings belong to which WLAN, but you may have a number of similarly named SSID's (Windows XP WZC actually has this same problem....at least pre-SP2).
-By far, the biggest problem I'm having is, if you have a number of wireless networks configured under WM2003 WZC, it takes FOREVER for the OS to find the right one you're at (Windows XP does NOT have this issue). Its almost like the WM2003 Pocket PC WZC initializes each group of network settings and says "nope, that's not the right one," and initializes the next and says "nope, that's not the right one," until, eventually, it finds the right one....and sometimes it never finds it :roll:

Am I the only one with these issues?

If so, any advice on correcting them? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

If not, I'd MUCH rather disable the WM2003 Pocket PC WZC, and use some third party WLAN profile utility that lets me organize individual WLAN settings (including SSID) under a user defined name, and lets me manually select which WLAN I'm at. Problems are:
1) I don't know how to disbale WM2003 Pocket PC's WZC
2) I don't know of any such third party WLAN profile utility

Can anyone offer any help? I'm a veteran PPC user who's feeling quite helpless on this issue. TIA!!

doughboy
12-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Brianchris,

If you do not have a good utility with the WLAN card you purchased or have built in WiFi, you may wish to thoroughly review www.wififofum.org
The author has a number of programs that may allow you to better control WZC.

I just received a Socket CF WiFi card for Christmas and like the utility that came with it but am debating about installing WiFiFoFum, too.

Best Wishes,
Doughboy

brianchris
12-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Brianchris,

If you do not have a good utility with the WLAN card you purchased or have built in WiFi, you may wish to thoroughly review www.wififofum.org
The author has a number of programs that may allow you to better control WZC.

I just received a Socket CF WiFi card for Christmas and like the utility that came with it but am debating about installing WiFiFoFum, too.

Best Wishes,
Doughboy

Thanks for your reply!

I actually have been using WiFiFoFum for some time. Here's some issues I've had with it (and therefore why it hasn't fit my needs described above):
-I haven't found a way to create profiles or input WLAN settings.....it seems to only find what's availible. If it finds a WEP network, I'm out of luck, even if I have the WEP key
-I've never been able to connect to a WLAN from WiFiFoFum (this may be because WM2003's WZC needs to be disabled and I've never done that....I have just downloaded WiFiFoFum's WZCDisabler utility and was going to try it out).
-The bottom of the radar screen is cut off by the bottom toolbar. A minor cosmetic problem, I know, but annoying none-the-less.

In addition to my needs described above, another thing I forgot to mention is the ideal utility would ALSO save IP settings under the WLAN profile (such as static IP settings, etc.).

Ironically, I have an iPAQ 5455, which originally shipped with the PPC2002 OS. That ROM had an AMAZING WiFi utility that, while not automatic, did everything I've mentioned so far in this thread. Problem is WM2003 blows away all other aspects of PPC2002, so I'm left TRYING to find a 3rd party utility that gives me that functionality back. Perhaps WiFiFoFum is it, and I just don't know how to use it properly? Perhaps WM2003 can do everything I've discussed natively, and I just don't know how to use it? Or perhpas such a perfect WiFi utility exists, and I just don't know where it is? Regardless, thanks for your continued help!

doughboy
12-28-2004, 01:12 AM
Brianchris,

Certainly try WiFiFoFum's WZCDisabler and let me know how it works. I have one more idea that is a long shot -- you may wish to see whether Socket's utility http://www.socketcom.com/support/redirect.asp?URL=ftp://ftp.socketcom.com/wlan/CFWLAN_124F_CE42.exe
works on other cards. Although I am very new to the WiFi PDA community, I have never received a pop up asking me whether I wish to connect to another network. I connect usually within 5 seconds upon inserting the card. I can see two other networks from my home but have not attempted to connect to them.

The utility has a check box that I can check to connect to "non-preferred" networks. I have left that unchecked. What leads me to believe the utility could be used for other wifi cards/setup is the ability to choose from a list of drivers. However, nearly all of this information is unavailable (grayed out) until a connection is made.

If you decide to try it, I suggest:

* turning off WiFi (or pulling out the card),
* installing the utility
* soft reset as instructed
* turn on Wifi (or insert card).
* choose or set up your connection (it does integrate at least somewhat with WM2003 WZC; do not be alarmed)

I hope you find your answers with or without these suggestions. As an aside, I am quite pleased with my Socket CF card. I thought I would be required to update my ROM to v1.1 so it would operate correctly, but it has been fantastic so far without the upgrade.

Have a Great New Year,
Doughboy