View Full Version : Dismantling wireless question

rundcm
12-27-2004, 05:29 PM
I paid a tech to set up an encrypted home wireless network some time ago. I
have windoes XP on a Dell 8300 w/linksys router & Netgear card.

Two things happened; One The e740 had a flash rom update installed &
The cable box (went bad) & was replaced by the cable co. The wireless network never worked with e740 again.

I wish to dismantle the set-up completely and start over. I do not want WEP encryption on new wireless set-up.

I didnt understand how to interpert the results from trouble shooting instructions that pertain to pinging, etc. So I gave up on what I have.

I purchased a new router and I'm ready to purchase a new network card too, if the one installled now is programmed with a WEP code.

My questions are: Is the router typically programmed with the WEP codes along with the Network card?

Will physically replacing both of these get me to step "one" of setting up a new network? Or, do I need to call one of these techs for hire to remove the WEP codes ? for some reason the e740 always sees it but will never connect. Thanks for any answers.

webdaemon
12-27-2004, 05:44 PM
WEP is set off by default. The WEP key is like a password your equipment uses to be allowed to talk to each other. If they came with keys installed it would defeat the purpose of having a key since all equipment would be able to talk to one another.

I suggest that unless you want to share your bandwidth you use WEP encryption. This also keeps nosey people and hackers out of your network. This is especially important if you are sharing files between computers on your network. Without the WEP key, anyone can access the shared files.

It's really not that difficult to set up WEP keys on your network. You just need to enter the same key on each device.

Another way to close up your network is to use MAC address filters. The MAC address is like an electronic serial number that all network devices use. When you use MAC filtering, the router will only talk to a device if it knows it's MAC address.

I'm sure you can find articles on the web that will tell you in plain language how to properly set up your network.

Jorgen
12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm ready to purchase a new network card too

The encryption on the XP machine is done in the XP operating system, not on the network card. See for example here
http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/network/wirelessxp.html (or search Google for "xp wireless network").

You may as well take the WEP off the old router and continue using it and return the new router.

Once you have done this, you will actually know how to set WEP. I agree with webdaemon: use WEP (and MAC filtering): if someone does P2P downloads of mp3 on your network, you may end up in trouble.

Get everything working without WEP first (that is important). If you have MAC address filter support in the router, get this working. Once everything is working, set a WEP key on the router and the on the PPC or XP.

Good luck!

Jorgen

Cybrid
12-28-2004, 10:09 AM
I paid a tech to set up an encrypted home wireless network some time ago. I
have windoes XP on a Dell 8300 w/linksys router & Netgear card.

Two things happened; One The e740 had a flash rom update installed &
The cable box (went bad) & was replaced by the cable co. The wireless network never worked with e740 again.

I wish to dismantle the set-up completely and start over. I do not want WEP encryption on new wireless set-up.

I didnt understand how to interpert the results from trouble shooting instructions that pertain to pinging, etc. So I gave up on what I have.

I purchased a new router and I'm ready to purchase a new network card too, if the one installled now is programmed with a WEP code.

My questions are: Is the router typically programmed with the WEP codes along with the Network card?

Will physically replacing both of these get me to step "one" of setting up a new network? Or, do I need to call one of these techs for hire to remove the WEP codes ? for some reason the e740 always sees it but will never connect. Thanks for any answers. You can reset a router.
If you find a small pinhole labeled "reset" push and hold for 5 seconds and the thing is factory fresh just like a dead battery PPC.
This will disable wep and then you can start the network up again.
Return all the new router, cards, etc and get your money back
better yet mail it all to me..... :devilboy:

Jorgen
12-28-2004, 06:54 PM
You can reset a router.

Isn't it easier to keep whatever else he has set up? Or at least try that first.
When you have something that works ...

Jorgen

Cybrid
12-30-2004, 10:38 AM
You can reset a router.

Isn't it easier to keep whatever else he has set up? Or at least try that first.
When you have something that works ...

Jorgen You are right except it is not working...
This person is ready to buy all new equipment to get around a wep encrypted network he can no longer use.

If you uninstall all the network cards then re-install them, reset the router, reset the PPC...pwoer it all back on....and bingo...instant connectivity...re-do a wep encryption then when it all works