View Full Version : Need help with wireless home networking for Toshiba E830

equlizer
12-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Just bought a wireless cable/dsl router for my PDA. I also have a regular DSL router hooked up to my 2 computers at home.

When i go to hook up the wireless router, my regular router goes kaput and doesnt work. When i unhook the wireless router and reset the computer everything is fine. How do i go about hooking up both and have both working together? I only bought the wireless router for my PDA (Toshiba E830) and would like to get it working tonight

OSUKid7
12-27-2004, 07:10 AM
The best bet is to replace your old router with the new one. Having two routers on such a small network is just asking for trouble.

Jorgen
12-27-2004, 08:48 AM
It is possible to connect both but it is one of those cases that may take some fiddling. Is there a reason for wanting both, such as you only have one outgoing port on the WLAN router?

Jorgen

OSUKid7
12-27-2004, 05:05 PM
It is possible to connect both but it is one of those cases that may take some fiddling. Is there a reason for wanting both, such as you only have one outgoing port on the WLAN router?
It should be possible, but unless you really need the old router for a feature the wireless router doesn't have, I would just replace it. What do you mean by "one outgoing port?" I assume both routers are consumer routers, and have a WAN/Internet port plus some switch ports. If you really need to use both, you may want to try connecting the two between two switch ports - not the WAN port of the wireless router.

What is the model of your old router and new wireless router?

Cybrid
12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
It should be possible, but unless you really need the old router for a feature the wireless router doesn't have, I would just replace it. What do you mean by "one outgoing port?" I assume both routers are consumer routers, and have a WAN/Internet port plus some switch ports. If you really need to use both, you may want to try connecting the two between two switch ports - not the WAN port of the wireless router.

What is the model of your old router and new wireless router?
Also set one as DHCP? and disable on the other?

OSUKid7
12-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Also set one as DHCP? and disable on the other?
Correct. If you really need both, disable DHCP on the new one, and give the new wireless router an IP address in the subnet of the first. (i.e. if the old router is on network 192.168.1.x, with default subnet mask, give the new wireless router an IP of something like 192.168.1.245. Not sure if you'll have problems with this or not...I need to try that myself sometime. But in theory, it should work.