View Full Version : Is Santa Technically Illiterate?

krissy83
12-26-2004, 08:30 AM
From my folks I recieved a iPAQ rx3115. I'm sure you all know the specs (300mhz, 56mb memory available, no CF slot, no built in camera either :( ). Is that really enough memory for a Pocket PC that advertises itself as a multimedia device? Or enough in the way of processor speed? The sales rep at the store wowed them into snapping it up without shopping around.

I am seriously considering returning it and splurging some of my own money on a Axim x50 with 624mhz ( I believe it is?) and much more in the way of ram and built in flash memory.

This is my first foray into Pocket PCs. I'm looking for a PPC that can hold all sorts of easy to access notes from on the go, voice memos, plenty of reference ebooks and guides, programs and school notes and particularly important would be at least a nicely detailed ny state street atlas. It's really intended for work and class but I'd like some games too (which I read is difficult to h andle with the iPAQs controller but not too much of a concern. I'd love to have the offline wiki version at 180mb with me too) :mrgreen:. GPS addition maybe some far off time in the future. I'm not too interested in storing or streaming mp3s or video but that seems to be a key feature of this rx3115 'multimedia companion'

But is the rx3115 up to what I want? Or should I go with an upgrade to a more powerful Axim or something else? I am on a budget, and the bluetooth keyboard and SD storage cards seem much cheaper on the Dellwebsite than their counterparts by HP. Any suggestions or tips related to this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Darius Wey
12-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi krissy83, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts, and hope you had a fantastic Christmas! :x-mas:

Choosing between the rx3115 and the Axim X50 is really a user preference sort of thing. Note that the latter comes in two variants - the Axim X50 and the Axim X50v. The X50v has a VGA screen (480x640) as opposed to the standard QVGA screen (240x320) which the rx3115 has. It also has a slightly faster processor (624MHz) as opposed to the 416MHz (BT) or 520MHz (Wi-Fi and BT) of the X50 units. The VGA screen is actually very nice on the eyes, but it all comes down to how much you really want to get out of your Pocket PC and how much you're willing to spend to get that upgrade.

The 300MHz (S3C2440) processor is fine for most cases. Playing media, reading eBooks, hopping on the internet and checking your email - it can all be done on the rx3115. I'll confess and tell you that my Pocket PC runs a 266MHz processor (it's a little aging, but still good). For what I want it to do, it does it fine. Sure, ascend up to higher processor clock speeds and you will get a noticeable performance boost (particularly when playing videos), but for basic things like note taking and the odd game here and there, the 300MHz processor should serve you well. However, bear in mind that the rx3115 and X50 have different form factors, and while this may sound like a minor issue, some people actually have trouble adopting to a different model with a different form factor, so you may want to keep this in mind if you decide to get the X50v. Also, don't bother storing audio/video on the main memory, as you'll generally want to reserve the memory for program installation and for running programs (especially useful if you're multitasking). Instead, if you're going to add audio/video files, put them on a storage card.

If you're not after the fanciest Pocket PC out there, the rx3115 should be good enough. Also, since you stated that you are on a budget, the X50 may be a little pricey, especially if you opt for the VGA model (X50v). If you decide to stick with the rx3115, you should visit this (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_6098.html) page for updates. More importantly, the ROM update will load Media Player 10 Mobile on to your device, as well as update a few things here and there. The X50 already includes Media Player 10 Mobile by default.

On a side note, I noticed you mentioned you were looking at SD cards on both HP and Dell's websites. They will generally sell it for more than the standard price. You don't need to purchase an HP or Dell branded card. As long as you get an SD card (or a CF card if you decide to opt for the X50), brand-wise, it shouldn't matter. Of course, different brands offer different card speeds so you may want to keep your eye out for those.

There's obviously a whole lot more that can be said about these two devices, as well as others if you're interested, but I hope that helped you a bit. If you're after more information, feel free to ask. We'll be happy to help. ;)

surur
12-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Return the HP and get the Dell with the VGA screen. I can see from your style of writing you are far from a newbie in computers. If fact trying to carry a 180Mb wiki with you seriously labels you as a geek. Unfortunately parents dont usually understand very well that its better to give money that try to chose gadgets for geeks (and not messing it up by listening to clueless salespeople).

The VGA dell is probably only a $100 more than the rx hp thing, and has a much better screen, allowing you to read your wiki with much more clarity. The CF slot will allow you to use microdrives in the future, or cheaper large CF cards. Also the speedier processor will allow you to scroll your maps with a lot more ease.

The Dell has a good graphics chip, which makes it perform very well showing videos, which as a student Im sure you will be interested in in the future, especially when you get a large storage card.

The more power the better. I would recommend other pocketpc's with 128Mb memory :) , but your budget probably will not stretch to them.

Surur

Jonathon Watkins
12-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Another vote for the Dell. I've got the offline wiki encyclopedia on my X50v. It's great! 8)

Good to see you Krissy83. As Darius said, ask away. We're friendly around here and always open to chatting about the pros and cons of all aspects of Pocket PC, Technology and life in general. ;-)

gregmills
12-26-2004, 06:06 PM
I can't really tell you what to do but if it were me I would keep it.

There's always going to be something newer coming and it doesn't sound like you would be the kind to throw money around updating to the latest and greatest every quarter. With an expansion card that PPC will be more than capable of doing everything you describe. Then in a year or so you can get what is new and hot at that time.

I have a Toshiba e750 which is a 400mhz device. I bought it after Christmas last year and I plan on keeping around at least another year. The only thing I've had trouble running are some video game console emulators.

surur
12-26-2004, 07:40 PM
There's always going to be something newer coming and it doesn't sound like you would be the kind to throw money around updating to the latest and greatest every quarter.

All the more reason to get the best now, so it can last a lot longer. He would practically be able to get a high end dell for only $100, instead of a low end HP for free. Sounds worth it to me, and he would not have to upgrade so soon afterwards.

Surur