View Full Version : NETZERO (Dialup) on Pocket PC

wirelesscop
12-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Does anyone out there know how (if it's possible), to get NETZERO to work on a PPC? I have an HP 2215 and was trying to use my NETZERO account and I am struggling to figure it out. The NETZERO setup file won't read on the PPC. It keeps telling me that it's not a valid PPC file. I even tried just setting up a Network Conncetion with my NETZERO user info and that doesn't work either. I know that NETZERO is ad supported and that's propably it won't work. Anyone out there know a shortcut or way that they can get NETZERO to work on a PPC?

Thanks!

Dermot81
12-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Do you have a modem for your PDA? Maybe a Bluetooth phone or CF modem? You'll need something to dial out with.

PDANEWBIE
12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Netzero tends to use its own dialer and have its own software so wanting to install it directly onto your PPC is probably not able to be done. I would gather there is a workaround though. You can setup your PC to have a Bluetooth connection and share your internet connection between both devices. Then you would dial up your PC and then use your PDA to browse. The only thing is I would bet 10 to 1 Netzero also has a non use knockoff so you would have to come up with a keep alive unless it considered that browsing when not on the PC.

Just a thought to point you in the right direction but I am betting your not going to get much help from the netzero folks.

Cybrid
12-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Netzero tends to use its own dialer and have its own software so wanting to install it directly onto your PPC is probably not able to be done. I would gather there is a workaround though. You can setup your PC to have a Bluetooth connection and share your internet connection between both devices. Then you would dial up your PC and then use your PDA to browse. The only thing is I would bet 10 to 1 Netzero also has a non use knockoff so you would have to come up with a keep alive unless it considered that browsing when not on the PC.

Just a thought to point you in the right direction but I am betting your not going to get much help from the netzero folks.

Talk to Netzero and get the "script"....the software is a settings creator to get the dial up to run. If you get the settings for the modem and the at commands to use...you may be able to get in

Menneisyys
12-28-2004, 09:51 AM

I don't think they have anything special. Actually, they must be using standardized dial-up protocols, so any dialer (including the built-in Connectivity) will work. Sure, most telco's offer their own solution for easy dialing and set-up (no need to dig into the op. system's Connectivity for the PPC user), but, they're either technically inferior or needless (just another useless stuff to install / take up pecious memory). A classic example of this is Alice Connect, which doesn't even have a WM2003(SE)-compliant version, and GSM/GPRS opeators like Vodafone are still offering that for PPC users. (See http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/gprs for more elaboration on the subject if you aren't afraid of Finno-Ugric languages.)

yankeejeep
12-28-2004, 12:49 PM
You will need to have some general information concerning the service and this may be available to to from their help area. You'll need to know, in addition to dial-up numbers, some server settings (you will need to have the WINS and DNS IP addresses if these are not automatically provided to your device when you try to connect), hardware settings (what type of flow control), how your user ID and password must be entered and whether you need a domain name. These can usually be found in technical documentation that may be available for PC users to sign on without the supplied dialer. So, even if tech support tells you that they don't support Windows Mobile devices, ask them if there is a way for a PC to access the service without using their dialer.

One thing that most ISP dialers do is locate local dial-up numbers for you. You will need to do this yourself if you are not using the ISP's front-end.

PDANEWBIE
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
I don't think they have anything special. Actually, they must be using standardized dial-up protocols, so any dialer (including the built-in Connectivity) will work.

Netzero is not a Telco and this actually is an ISP that has grown from a Ad-based free ISP to (as far as I know) an Ad-based pay service. The problem is you must use their software to dail (or at least used to). I went through their software with a fine tooth comb and even ripped out the phone numbers and put it into my dial up and when not using their software it disconnects you very fast. Now that its a pay service I don't know how this has changed but I was under the assumption its like AOL where you have to have the client in order to connect in.

As far as being provided the base OS connectivity settings from Netzero good luck. If you find a way to use Netzero without their software let me know as I am sure hundreds of people would love to use this at only 9.95 a month. Might I suggest Netscape is now offering 9.95 as well maybe they don't have a dialer? this would mean jumping ISP's and changing email addy's though.