View Full Version : CINGULAR and Data Plans and SX66

urologyhealth
12-25-2004, 12:05 AM
When will we be able to find meaningful answers to Cingular Data questions? I don't understand the differences between what MEDIA NET, Data plans and Unlimited PDA plans are and what they provide? I want to understand what exactly I should be paying for to best use my Siemens SX66 phone. To access Internet and access YAHOO mail in Messaging area etc. Thank you

stevew
12-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I have an Cingular unlimited GPRS account $39 a month. Not exactly sure what they call it but it's not the Media Net package I'm pretty sure. I can get pop3 email via GPRS or WiFi connection. Surfing the web via GPRS is surprisely faster than I thought, although most my surfing is with mobile friendly sites. You do not need Express mail to get pop3 email. I'm not sure about yahoo email as I don't use it.

rabisdogis
12-28-2004, 04:54 AM
The Media Net plan is designed for phones only. It roughly takes 4-5kb to open the net on the phone and about 3-4kb per page that you look at! The PDA plans are $29.99 for 5mb and $39.99 for unlimited because it can take anywhere from 200kb to 300kb to open a single page. That really adds up. And finally theres the mobile data package for your laptop. Again, it takes hundreds of kb to open pages and then theres the downloading. I work for Cingular (formly ATT) and I had a guy who had an edge card and was set-up on an internet plan for his phone. Some we surfing and a couple downloads later (4 movies off of kazaa!!!) he had a $56, 467.83 phone bill!!!!! It really adds up. You need to make sure that you are on the right data plan. I hope that this helps!

urologyhealth
12-28-2004, 05:17 AM
I now decided after investigating to ONLY have the Media Works package for $19.99 a month for UNLIMITED data. I had it on my Nokia 6820 before this Siemens SX66

I believe it covers all needs as I am able to access the Internet AND my POP3 mail in messaging.

I see no need for Cingular express mail or for the PDA Plan being pushed for $40/month as it doesn't add anything I can see for $20 more.

Any input would be appreciated. Cingular should make it simpler--they have Data Plans?? Wireless Internet Plans? etc. When I called customer service or Data Services NOONE could clearly explain it, nor could the Instore sales persons.

stevew
12-28-2004, 02:03 PM
I was told by Cingular that the PDA Data add-on provides much faster GPRS web surfing than the Media Works Plan. I don't know if this was correct info but I know I'm very pleased with the speed of the GPRS connection with the PDA data plan.

12-28-2004, 07:02 PM
It's possible it supports EDGE, but the SX66 doesn't support EDGE. I have the Mediaworks plan with the SX66. I already receved a prorated bill and I had about 5mb's of usage for about 5 days. They didn't charge me any extra for it.

Chris Spera
12-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I called Cingular and told them that I had a PDA2k (before the SX66 was available and released), and asked the CSR that I talked to what I needed for unlimited Internet, and she told me that the MEdia Works package was all that I needed...

stevew
12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I guess it's whoever one talks to at Cingular. I've about had it with calling Cingular. It's a joke. I've called them 5 or 6 times this month for various things, returns, upgrades, info etc and it was rediculous every time.

12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
I think I have a better explanation for you.

The Mediaworks Unlimited Package $19.99 includes unlimited internet, where the $39.99 PDA package includes integrated e-mail run by cingular's servers.

The email service varies based on which pda you have. Wireless Xpress mail for blackberry uses blackberry's server software, whereas Wireless Xpress mail for the SX66 uses a solution from Seven that pushes the mail directly to your Pocket PC and includes exchange services for your contacts so you can wirelessly sync.

They are trying to get all SX66 users to use this service. However, unlike sprint which can effectively enforce this on it's ppc users cingular uses gsm cards that can be switched from phone to phone and they can't necessarily charge one customer one amount and other customers another amount for the same service. This results in some salesmen giving you the mediaworks package and other salespeople giving you the other package. If you think the e-mail is worth it pay an extra 20 bucks a month. It isn't an awful service and will sync your contacts on the fly if you have a hard reset.

The whole open closed browser argument doesn't really fly, because other phones with open browsers aren't charged the extra money like nokia smartphones and mpx220's.

urologyhealth
12-31-2004, 07:22 PM
My assessment is the same:

I cancelled the PDA PACKAGE for $39.99 a month as I don't need their Cingular Express mail. I only have Media Package for $19.99 a month and I can access Internet and I have set up Yahoo Mail in messaging to connect via Media Net or Internet (using wi-fi). Unless one needs their servers I think it's $20.00/month excessive spending.

B
02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
...I cancelled the PDA PACKAGE for $39.99 a month as I don't need their Cingular Express mail. I only have Media Package for $19.99 a month and I can access Internet and I have set up Yahoo Mail in messaging to connect via Media Net or Internet (using wi-fi). Unless one needs their servers I think it's $20.00/month excessive spending.

I just ordered the SX66 from Cingular (my first PPC ever and 1st new cell-phone in 4 years) - they sold me on the $39.99 plan then I checked here. I feel like a noob - so I want to be sure...
1) Are you still happy with the $19.99 plan?
2) Have there been any downsides to going with the $19.99 vs $39.99 package?
3) Is it slower as one of the previous posters implied?

With the $19.99 plan...
4) Will I be able to surf regular http/https web sites (as opposed to just WAP mobile sites)?
5) Can I connect through the phone and WiFi to my own POP3/SMTP server?
6) Is there unlimited text messaging (SMS)?
7) Can I use my own Instant Messaging client (through the phone connection) without additional charges?
8) Is there any extra fees for anything to do with data - email attachments, Instant Messaging, etc...

I've talked to half a dozen Cingular reps and received over half a dozen different interpretations of these plans.

Thanks

asdrew
02-15-2005, 04:57 AM
I'll answer a few of your questions:

1-3) From what I've heard, there does not seem to be a difference on the sx66 end between the two plans. One of the earlier replies to this thread suggested that they upped the price because those of us with PDA Phones get to more data than others, so they want more $. I agree, but both plans seem to work the same for everyone.
However, Cingular just changed the Media pricing structure and now the Media Net unlimited data plan is $24.99, and I don't see the $39.99 PDA plan listed. But then they have the Media Works plan for $19 which has 1000 text/instant messages and unlimited Multimedia messages. What is the difference between "Net" & "Works"? I don't think even most CSR's know the real differences. Whatever you get, make sure your CSR takes the PPU (pay per use) that is automatically on all accounts off. I was set up at first with the $39 unlimited plan, but they left the PPU on my account and I got a ridiculous bill! It took a little effort, but they took the PPU charges off. I have heard of others with this oversight.

4) With the sx66, you can surf most sites. Some with multiple windows, etc. are difficult to negotiate, but you can find PDA-friendly sites through sites like yahoo mobile, skweezer, MSN mobile, and others.

5) You can use WiFi without even having a paid plan, since it does not rely on Cingular's network at all. Wow! Free!

6) I believe SMS is limited, depending on your plan.

7) I'm not sure, but I don't think so. The SX66 is also capable of using the regular cell line to call your ISP's dialup number, but it doesn't work. I assume because Cingular doesn't want us to be able to get on the internet for just using plan minutes. I'm still tracking down a difinitive answer to that one.

8) Most data is included in the unlimited package, like it would be at home. Check for sure with your CSR and get something in writing if possible, or have them note what they told you in your account notes. A huge bill because you or your CSR misunderstood is a real nightmare.

The SX66 is an awesome unit, I've enjoyed mine since early December. This whole realm of connectivity is expanding faster than Cingular can set up simple, clear plans and distinctions, and CSR's just can't keep up. It is set up in very confusing terms that sound almost the same (media net, media basic, media works, media bundle, wireless internet, wireless internet express, etc.), you got kb's and mb's, PPU's, wixc's, and a million other abreviations. I expect it to be 6 months to a year before they get a good handle on things as far as accurate sales and CS for data stuff.